Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seeking a Fur-iend for the Foreseeable Future (:

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SighthoundSeeker, Oct 14, 2020.

1. SighthoundSeeker

SighthoundSeeker PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone :)

I've just joined the site and I have no idea if I'm posting in the right place, forgive me!

My partner and I have been looking for a dog to welcome into our little family for the last 2-3 years. We've found many over our search but have never been able to settle on one, or when we have, we've had some bad experiences along the road to obtaining one.

We live in a small apartment whilst saving for a house, which has been the case long before the pandemic - This 'small' detail has led to rejections from several shelters and adoption agencies as we do not have a private garden. We've explained that our plans for the dog include my partner taking it to work with him for 3 days of the week as he works as a landscape gardener and other workers alongside him often bring their dogs along as well - the other 2 days of the week it would unfortunately be left mostly alone (bar a lunchtime visit from myself during the day) until I get home from work. We've both been lucky enough to remain in constant stable employment throughout the pandemic, so this would by no means be a 'lockdown doggo'...

We've also contacted and visited several breeders of select dog breeds but due to lockdown, they along with the wannabe breeders selling ads online seem to have risen to extortionate prices for both pure breeds and mutts...

After a lot of rooting around, we feel sighthounds are the right match for us - we'd love to find a calm, aloof but loving couch potato type dog who is happy to sleep all day or race us up the hills when road tripping is more of a thing again, then snuggle up to us on the sofa in the colder evenings. We're also happy to rehome a slightly 'older' dog (4months to 6yrs perhaps), but are worried about rescues rejecting us again for being in an apartment, especially with something the size of a greyhound and whippets seem oddly hard to come by if Pets4Homes has anything to say about it... (Long, arduous stories...)

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, does anyone know any specific shelters, websites, breeders etc who would be more likely to offer us a hound friend, or are we perhaps not a good home for one? We feel we'd be able to give a dog a very loving home and as much time as we could, but are getting devastated by the judgement, and hate when we see others getting away with doing so much less for their dogs than we know we would be able to give...

We're based in Hertfordshire if this helps!

Thanks so much for any advice given! Much love and health to everyone x

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Have you tried Greyhound Rescue? Ex-racing greyhounds usually can’t be let off lead (as is the case with many sighthounds anyway) and I’m not sure if they must wear a muzzle. As they’ve been living in kennels in a small space then I guess they could live happily in a small apartment; don’t know how you’d fare with house-training.

3. SighthoundSeeker

I'd approached Blue Cross and an independent rescue place nearby, I'm not sure if they didn't like us or just felt the space was too small but they never got back to us pending the house check so I can only go by the assumption unfortunately... I will probably try a specific greyhound rescue though - We're just scared they'll say no, the rejections have hurt us quite a bit, even private sellers haven't been very good at responding, including after I made a complaint to Pets4Homes and Gumtree about non-responsive people. They got back to me stating that the sellers must just be 'busy' but they try hard to make sure ads are closed once the animals have been sold. The people I'd been messaging hadn't come online since the ad was posted (since you can see their 'last active' time) so I told them if the animals were so 'in demand' on their website from the ad, surely the seller would have been more active online?

And I received no response back to that, from Pets4Homes customer support xD! Just clearly rude people, it really doesn't take much to just say 'sorry these pups are sold' etc. Takes even less effort to take your ad down to stop people harassing you about the ad, but hey ho...

4. Linda Weasel

Try Greyhound Trust.

5. SighthoundSeeker

Do you think they'd be more likely to accept smaller apartments?

6. Linda Weasel

I don’t know, worth a try though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice