Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

See what other breeds your dog is related to

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tabelmabel, Oct 25, 2020.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

This is really interesting - even for a bit of fun. Turns out murph is related to the pug! Surprising!

No surprises with Tilly - gsp, visla, all the hunters! But most closely to English Setter.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/da...avourite-dog-breeds-are-related-to-each-other

The article makes a good read too - fancy having a dog run round a wheel to turn your roast. I wonder if the dog enjoyed his work and got any of the roast as payment!

#1 tabelmabel, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

LOL well, the first screenshot is chihuahua, the second one is for terrier :D Penny is a right mess, but I knew that already!
    Off do do Bates now :D
    Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 8.48.53 AM.png

And this for terrier:
    Screenshot 2020-10-25 at 8.48.23 AM.png

3. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I do not believe it but chip is supposed to be related to an American Eskimo Dog , Nova Scotia Duck Tolling retriever ,Puli , Bichon Frieze , and Schnauzer amongst other
    more believable ones . I can't seem to copy the picture of his mix.

JoanneF likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Bet you can't believe your Chip is related to my Mr. Murphles either, @Rosie64 :eek:

JoanneF likes this.
  5. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Lol no I can't , it is all a bit hard to believe to be honest :confused::)

6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Or related to my Chinese Crested:rolleyes:

For a dog that originated in Africa, and, allegedly, is one of the least mucked about with breeds
    Falcor is pug, peke, xolo,chihuahua and bichon
    As you said
    Just a bit of fun
    And
    A huge pinch of salt;)

7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't get a result for my 2, they don't seem to fall into any categories.

8. mrs phas

It does say there's no matches for Dachshunds

Foglia has one match
    Suprise surprise she's matched with a Pomeranian
    seeing as Poms come from volpinos originally, that's not exactly a shock to me

SusieRainbow likes this.
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Border collies have a lot of herding relatives (unsurprisingly).

Shar pei is only Chow and boxer, and not very closely related either.

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The Westie results were very unsurprising, of course.

Apparently Wheatens are vaguely related to bulldogs, french bulldogs, and staffies. Not sure about that!

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

A couple of the breeds, like the dachshund and Dalmatian, show no bands of sharing at that age point,” she said.

[​IMG]
    A Dachshund dog, dressed as a hotdog. Photograph: Gregor Waschinski/AFP/Getty Images
    “This could mean that these breeds were set in their current form before that time and no one has seen fit to play with that form. It is also possible that we just don’t have the correct breeds in the dataset to see other additions.

@SusieRainbow - thank your lucky stars your dachshunds are in no way connected to the hairy woodland butt!

@Rosie64 - it does say lots of breeds have a 'sprinkling' of pug just to make them smaller. That could be trueo_O

SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. adamantis

adamantis PetForums Member

I'm slightly confused by the absence of the English Pointer (which I only noticed because it doesn't appear in the Foxhound links - foxhound went into their creation). What a bizarre omission!

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack:
    4C7A6E30-AA0D-41AE-B602-F1CDD02290ED.jpeg

70B932EA-98ED-47E9-A138-5937803790A6.jpeg

Sarah H likes this.
  14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Poms were originally bred from undersized German spitz and originate from Germany Volopinos come from Italians poms were used in their breeding.

15. mrs phas

Well we'll agree to differ then
    As
    the version I read and was taught to me from foglia's Italian breeder,
    was that
    volpinos have been known , in Italy, since pre Roman times and went with the Roman soldiers as they invaded across, what is now, Europe, doing what they do best ie, alarm dogs
    As they travelled they interbred with various similar sized dogs and dogs like the poms (and others) were derived from them
    There's is ample proof, in pictures, writings and frescos of the 'small red dog,' without which, many troops would've been caught by surprise, and, which the farmers, both those behind in Italy and those that travelled after the invaders, relied on to alert, the bigger farm dogs, who would then go 'into battle' when danger was near, be that people or wildlife
    In fact if one looks at early pom pictures, Victorian and before, they look very like Volpinos, rather than the teeny ball of fluff we're used to seeing now

But as there were many Spitz type breeds around, at that time, who knows for sure?Let's face it, even the Vikings had small spitz types travel with them, when they invaded

Like many other breeds, there are many stories around about how they came about, so who knows the definitive answer? I wouldn't like to be so absurd, prideful and haughty, as to say I, absolutely, did, neither do I think you would :)

16. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I was surprised murphles has so many relatives as tibetan terriers are supposed to be an ancient breed, purebred for 2000 years.

Tilly was no surprise as i knew brittanies originated from the well trained pointers and setters kept by the English gentry mated with native French spaniels when they were over there on shoots.

It looks like the higher the number (out of 100) the closer the shared heritage and both murph and tills just have very low numbers (1s and 2s)

Interesting about the omission of the pointers @adamantis - especially as they say the pointer is denoted by the orange circle.

English pointers are related to Brittanies, without a doubt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice