Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sedation - cat still wobbly on back legs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KittyNat, Nov 17, 2020.

1. KittyNat

KittyNat PetForums Junior

My cat had to have sedation yesterday for some blood tests to check the level of her thyroid (she wiggles too much if not sedated).

When she came home, she was super wobbly and didn't really know what was happening. We settled her and she calmed down. After a while she ate her dinner and drank some water.

Later on in the evening she was walking around and it was like she could feel her back legs but had no co-ordination, especially on the right leg.

I thought it was still the effects of the sedation, but this morning she is still the same.

She is quite old at 15, so I am hoping it is not anything more serious (like a stroke).

I am going to call the vet when they open for some advice, but just wondered if anyone else had anything similar.

2. Berry_Cat

Berry_Cat PetForums Junior

Hi there. I just posted something similar. Our cat has been given a pain killer that is making her groovy and uncoordinated. How is your cat now? Has she improved?

3. Berry_Cat

Berry_Cat PetForums Junior

Groggy not groovy! If only she was groovy!

chillminx likes this.
  4. KittyNat

KittyNat PetForums Junior

We went back to vet as she was still like it yesterday afternoon. They cannot rule out a blood clot due to her thyroid problem and heart murmur, but seemed to think it was more likely a painful leg, causing her to walk funny and put more weight on the other one. How she got a painful leg, I don't know - I literally picked her up from the vets and kept her quiet at home. She may have twisted it somehow?? Anyway, they have given us a short course of Loxicom painkiller & anti-inflammatory to see if it helps in the short term.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Blackcat2000

Blackcat2000 PetForums Junior

My elderly cat went in for tests earlier this year and was sedated and reacted very similar. I was beside myself she could barley walk was so quiet and looked frightened to death. It took her a few days to fully get back to herself but she got there. Think when they are older their little bodies don't metabolise the sedation quite so well.

Hope shes feeling better

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice