Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Secure cat collar for tracker?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merckx, Dec 22, 2020.

1. merckx

merckx PetForums Newbie

Hello

We have a young indoor cat and we've used these quick release buckle collar's that pull apart but we can't get the collar to stay on for more than a few hours, we fitted a small tracker to the collar just in case he mistakenly gets outside as that's the last thing we want as we live on a busy road.

When I was at Home Bargains yesterday I had a quick look at the collar's they had and I was surprised to see that the buckle wasn't quick release as I couldn't pull it apart and there wasn't any elastic in the collar either which was a surprise as I was under the impression that nearly all collar's are now the quick release type. I know they used to use elastic in the collar so it would stretch if a cat got caught up somewhere, I think they're still available but I'm not sure if they're as safe.

Can anyone recommend a more secure collar that can't be pulled off by the cat?

Thanks

Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @merckx and welcome :)

Cat collars with elastic in them are not safe, a cat can get their paw through the collar trying to remove it, and then the elastic gets twisted around the paw cutting off the blood supply. This happened to one of my previous cats about 30 years ago, before safety snap collars were invented and long before ID microchipping was invented. My cat was lucky he managed to hobble back home so I could cut the twisted collar off his paw.

Other cats have not been so lucky as mine and there are reported instances of the collar getting caught in a branch, and the cat strangling themselves and dying, twisting trying to get free.

Even quick release collars can be dangerous, as not all of them do release as they should, some are hard to pull apart.

As your cat is indoors only he shouldn't need a collar. You would be better improving the security of your home to make sure he can't get out of the house e.g. fit mesh protectors to windows so you can have the windows open in the summer.

Fitting a tracker to his collar is not going to help if he gets outside and runs straight onto the busy road and is hit by a car..

buffie, mrsfarq and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree totally cats and collars are not a good combination even safety collars can cause injuries and worse so the very idea of using one that is difficult for a cat to remove fills me with horror .
    I live on a busy road and make sure that there is no way Meeko can get out the door back or front ,as @chillminx says nothing will protect your cat from the traffic and that is more of a concern than losing the tracker .

4. merckx

merckx PetForums Newbie

Thanks chillminx.

I was hoping to find was a collar which had a quick release buckle that just required slightly more effort to pull open as a cat shouldn't be able to remove it by simply using their paw, obviously it needs to work correctly if he ended up hanging from it.

All the windows that are used I've modified so they cannot be opened too far so he can't get out of a window. We're extremely careful with outside doors, a tracker wouldn't help with a busy main road but with cat's climbing fences and being small you can obviously appreciate that the tracker is there only for the worst case scenario if he did get out and I would say it's far better having one fitted than not.

I think I'll go to a shop and inspect them and even test one properly myself when I get home (not on the cat), I'm a qualified mechanical engineer so I'll make sure that it'll work like it should.

5. merckx

merckx PetForums Newbie

The road definitely is much more of a concern buffie and we make sure he can't get out just like you but that doesn't mean that it's impossible, if the house was burgled for instance and it's the worst case scenario I want to prepare for as I know how difficult it can be to find any cat if it goes missing. I read every single day on lost and found group's about cat's disappearing and I don't want that to happen to us.

There's no way I would fit a collar that wouldn't come off when needed and I would say it's far more beneficial to have a tracker fitted than not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice