Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Second teething phase?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by XxZoexX, Apr 7, 2011.

1. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, Just a quicky-ish...

Jack is plodding nicely along his teens, Nothing to major so far just pushing the boundarys a little :rolleyes: But generally hes a star.

What i have noticed is hes very "chewy" Not furniture or our stuff (barr his nicked socks :rolleyes:) But he has taken to tugging on his bankets, Its not like hes destructivly ripping them up (tho there looking shabby now) but errmmm tugging is the only word i can think off :lol:
    Hes also mouthing my hand and making the same crying noise he used to when he was teething.

Im sure i read somewhere there is a second teething phase which can be worse due to the adult teeth settleing in the Jaw does anyone have experiance n this, is it right or is it a load of rubbish and its likely to be his teens?
    I just dont want to label him as a hooligan and give him an Asbo if its because hes sore but if its his teens im guessing i shouldnt let him carry on incase it escalates :)

I have got more robust teething toys but now hes older hes a little more picky and only the blanket and his Stag Bar seem to suffice :(

He does have 2 teeth that are not totaly grown but are all cut.

Suggestions gratefully recieved.

2. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Bumpity bump :D

3. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

I'm not sure lotus is a couple of weeks older and being an obnoxious little cow not noticed any teething I found with both mine when they fretted they stank like a rat had died in their mouth (they are totally raw fed so no bad breath) but it could possibly do his gums look red anywhere??

4. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Charlie in his teens has been going through a lot of chews

There will be some teenage behaviour in the mix, but it is also very likely that his adult teeth are settling in and giving him sore gums.

If you think it's the sore gums then give him an ice cube, a cold carrot or a frozen kong. Something that will satisfy the chewing and sooth anything sore. If he isn't interested in chewing the things you provide that will sooth his gums and just wants to destroy beds etc, then it's a teenage tantrum :D

5. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Dont know about teething, Ruby is a year on monday and we got her at 9 months and she has always been a powerful chewer since we have had her, but i think some of this is novelty as she didnt have toys before. I havent noticed any particular mouthing etc.

Rolo is a little younger than Jack and his chewing is becoming more powerful, which we have attributed to Rubys teaching, not noticed any thing like the puppy teething with him yet, or extra mouthiness with us.

6. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Its not a constant thing and seems to be more obvious if hes over tired.. ill stock up with the ice and carrot ect Hopefully it'll pass soon :(
    Thanks guys xx

7. kam200

kam200 PetForums Junior

Hi there, in the book 'The Perfect Puppy,' Gwen Bailey talks about a second chewing stage which occurs after around 7months. I haven't got it to hand but ill have a look later on and see what it says.
    Kayleigh

8. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

yes they do have a second teething phase - its where the new adult teeth are settling down so you will generally getting a second time where their gums are sore.

9. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Ahhh thankyou, You know when you half remember something :lol:
    Kayleigh that would be great.. Your a star!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice