Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

seasons for American bulldog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicky1980, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Nicky1980

Nicky1980 PetForums Newbie

How often will my American bulldog have a season?
    She had one at 10 months and she is now 14 months but seems to be acting the way she did when she was before her seasons n started.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She will likely have a season around every 6/8 months.

You can have her spayed now she has had one season.

3. Nicky1980

Me and the hubby are still having a pros and cons list on letting her have one litter first or not. We are in no rush to do it as I think she's still too young and don't want any harm come to her, she's our family pet so really want to make sure I do what's right for her. She's my first bitch as I've had males in the past. Thank you for your reply

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Mmm....maybe popcorn time!!!

simplysardonic, LinznMilly and Zaros like this.
  5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Why are you considering she should have one litter?

No offence, but if you're not sure how often she is due to come into season you're probably not best placed to be breeding.

I'd spay her & enjoy her for the lovely pet she is :)

simplysardonic and WillowT like this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would have her spayed.

Leaving her unspayed increases her risk of developing mammary tumours later in life and each season increases the risk of her experiencing phantom pregnancies which would make her very unhappy.

Pregnancy and delivery carry their own risks and also, it's such a responsibility trying to find loving, knowledgeable and permanent homes for any pups she may have.

Bitches don't actually enjoy the process of carrying and giving birth, as it holds no long term benefits for them, as it does with humans.

Also, there are so many Bull Breeds and their crosses being put to sleep every day, it's depressing.

You obviously love her, so why risk it when there isn't a real reason to?

7. Nicky1980

We didn't get her to have puppies she is our little lady and she was to complete our family.
    The older she is getting the more her personality is coming out and she's so loving and gentle with my two boys, other animals as well.
    I'm asking for advice as she's my first bitch and it's not something I'm thinking of doing lightly. It may not happen it may. I'd like to know all the facts before we decide. But thank you for your comment

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I understand that.

We have Rudi, our Staffy girl, you can see in my avatar. She is now 2 years old. We bought Rudi from a very well known and reputable Breeder of Staffies, she's K. C. Registered and has a very impressive pedigree. She was bred for looks and temperament and she is the loveliest girl, so loving with people and particularly children and very tolerant of other dogs.

Her Breeder was hoping we could put our heads together and have a litter from her to continue the line she's so proud of.

However, we too got Rudi as our pet and we could not reconcile ourselves to producing more Bull Breed pups when so many dogs are dying.

We had her spayed after her first season.

LinznMilly, StormyThai, ouesi and 4 others like this.
  9. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

There is absolutely no reason to let her have a litter. Why would you even consider this? It wouldn't benefit the dog at all.

WillowT likes this.
  10. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

Breeding is a lot more than a lovely bitch having lovely puppies and it being a lovely experience for everyone. Things can and do go wrong, even for vastly experienced breeders who do absolutely everything right.

Breeding (even when it goes perfectly well) is also very expensive, not to mention incredibly hard work and emotionally draining. They only really touch the tip of the iceberg when it comes to breeding knowledge but I'd recommend reading the following articles as they'll begin to give you an idea of just how much goes into breeding responsibly:

Have you looked into health testing? I believe the recommendations for American Bulldogs are hip and elbow scoring plus DNA tests for Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis, Icthyosis, Nemaline Myopathy and Canine Multi-Focal Retinopathy.

I honestly don't know much about the status of the breed as a whole in the UK (presuming that's where you are) but I'd hazard a guess that responsible breeders of them are very few and far between indeed. Most appear to be produced by BYBS, having litters either for money or for no other reason than "because", and unsurprisingly there's no shortage of Ambulls and Ambull crosses/types in rescues up and down the country. This has a bearing on your plans as you may well find you struggle to find anyone reputable prepared to use their (health tested, etc.) stud dog on your pet bitch.

Was your bitch herself from a reputable breeder? If so then they'd be your first port of call but if she's not (which, and no offence to your or your girl, is sadly more likely) then I'd knock the idea of breeding with her on the head straight away. If breeding is something that interests you then get involved with the breed somehow, get to know the decent breeders, learn from them and then go from there in the future.

11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I would strongly recommend against letting her have one litter first.
    If you got her as a pet, spay her, enjoy her as a pet.

Breeding is hard on bitches, even when you do everything right and are super knowledgeable and experienced with the process. Then there are the puppies you produce to think about, you are now responsible for them for life too (or at least should be if you're doing this responsibly). How are you going to ensure those puppies don't end up in shelters or as some breeding machine in someone's back yard?
    There is a lot more to consider when allowing that "just one litter." Please don't.

12. Nicky1980

Lola has the vets next month so will also be discussing everything with them including being spayed. I just wanted to know other peoples experiences and obviously opinions. I was expecting some negative responses but hoping for good advice too.

Rafa likes this.
  13. Nicky1980

Her mum had papers but dad didnt she was their 3rd litter plus it didnt bother us as we had no plans on breeding. Its just come into question since she had her first season and so many friends and family have asked for us to breed her. So wanted to know all pros and cons before we decide On where to go next( spade or let her have a litter). Thank you for your reply

14. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

If she's only had one season then it isn't possible to tell if she wool have regular seasons / how often. Females can have seasons every about 4-12 months.

Nicky1980 likes this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, I do hope you decide to have her spayed. Those of us with the Bully Breeds must be concerned with the numbers that are dying every day and do what we can to not add to those numbers.

Whatever you do, good luck. You seem very sensible and down to earth and I'm sure you'll make the right decision, not only for your girl, but for the Breed as a whole.

16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Ok I was the one who said popcorn thread, because it's a subject close to many people's heart....breeding adds to the rescue crisis especially bull breeds, although many come here thinking it's ridiculous.

Most dogs brought up right, have lovely nature's, and if only we could 'clone' them. However breeding does not make carbon copies of the mother, and all fairness I think having a slightly different personality helps between different dogs even in the same breed it makes them unique. So you can get that from a more experienced breeder.

Breeding is hard working etc, and you have already been given viable advice about that as well as cost.

If you look hard enough through the breeding thread, you will see some hard to read threads about breeding, some where complications arose and all puppies died, some where mother's died. These are stories not commonly shared but should be more, would you really risk life of your pet just to have a litter? One short thread sticks in my mind..someone bred their chihuahua was doing it alone, no mentor and the bitch died and was left to hand reared the pups. Which isn't an easy task. The question asked is this normal, the woman never thought of the risks...she was full of grief but had no time to grieve as she had to puppies to feed and clean and comfort. She thought giving birth was natural...even child birth is difficult...people have assisted deliveries and c sections it's no different that dogs will get in to difficulties too. After giving birth, there can be problems straight after as in the chihuahuas case.

Not all dogs make good mum's, regardless of temperament. Am not a breeder, but my own dog was bred from apparently she was an excellent mum, but her daughter was a terrible mother.

People who breed ethically and responsibly do for pet homes mainly but it's for the good of the breed and the particular bitch has proven themselves in some way through shows, trials etc. They know the breed and will only take the risk, if the bitch is worth it..not all bitches from a show home will be bred from for example it depends on credentials, their lines and health tests too. To make an informed choice.

Mentors are essential in breeding. People close by who offer support prior on making decisions, during pregnancy, during birth. They are usually breeders with years of experience in the breed and worth their weight in gold..far better than any forum.

I would like to highlight @Sweety posts to you, it's incredibly sensible. Especially as what Sweety has not mentioned is that she used to be a person who was in to the show world and was a dog breeder herself, she knows the risks etc and the reasons why someone breeds. Hence reading between the lines, look deeper into her comment. Rudi her dog is a 'pet'

I was not aware American bulldogs are a registered breed? Were the papers hip scores? Or any health tests? I would think the very least hip scores would be important but am not entirely sure...

Hope she remains a well loved pet. She definitely sounds like she has landed on her paws.

Nicky1980 likes this.
  17. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

Good for you for not rushing into it and looking into the options carefully before going ahead. :)
    The reasons why the replies have been so negative is simply because that's the reality of it. Responsible breeding is incredibly difficult, and if it's not done responsibly, then it's best not done at all. Please don't view the replies as overly negative, they're just realistic.

Rafa and lullabydream like this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Not just now though if she is 6 months after her season, she will need to be done 3 months after her next season.

I would not breed from a bull breed, there are two many of them about and there is no reason to do it. If you are absolutely set on doing it then it would not be until her third or fourth season. You will have to let her have her next season now and then make a decision as there is no point in not spaying her if you are not breeding. You spay about 12 weeks after a season to get the optimum time when the hormones are quiet.

If you decide you are going to breed then you need to learn a lot first as it is not just a case of shoving any dog and bitch together and 9 weeks later a healthy litter arrives which go off to their new homes 8 weeks later. Read up on it, ask questions here (if you can get past the nasty comments), go on other forums (and get even nastier comments) and try and speak to some 'good' breeders. But really you are better to have her spayed, cut out the risk of pyometra, mammary tumours and whelping complications, and enjoy her. If your friends want a dog like her they do not want to wait for 18 months for one and by then they might have changed their mind anyway or got a pup from elsewhere if they really want one.

19. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

I would never buy a puppy from a breeder. I rescue dogs... always have. There are far too many dogs without homes to even consider buying from a breeder. Although I recognise breeding does have its place in the world... but for your average everyday pet I don't believe this is true.
    How would you know that the puppies would not be another dog in a rescue home at some point in their lives, end up being brought by people as a 'status' thing.... this does happen. And then lead a life full of horrible treatment. Exspecially as others have pointed out.... a bully breed.

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am not sure of the relevance of you preferring to rescue. That is your choice, as others choose to buy from a breeder and know what they are getting. Does not alter the fact that it probably is not the best idea to breed from this particular bitch.

elmthesofties, Rafa and ouesi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice