Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seasons and neutered males

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, May 5, 2011.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Bella is now on day 12 of her season, well thats how long shes been bleeding anyway, Henrick is now trying to play piggyback with her a couple of times an hour, he stops as soon as I tell him to pack it in but obviously Im having to lock one away even when I go to the loo and I cant go out and leave them alone. How long will this attraction go on and should a neutered male even be wanting to mount a bitch, I thought those urges would have dissapeared along with his hormones. By the way how do you owners of bitches cope with the blood? there is a little pool every time she stands up and Im having to clean my rug all the time :(.

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

We have to watch Bob like a hawk as he'll attempt to mount Gem (but not Trix!), I'm not sure if this is because she tends to have heavier 'deposits' than Trix (we get a bit of light spotting & that's it with her). If we have to leave the dogs during the day & when we go to bed the girls sleep in the lounge & Bob stays in with us.
    As for the mess, we have easy to clean wood floors & tiles throughout, it's been a godsend

3. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

You can buy special panties (Trixie make a pair) or buy a pair of young boy's underpants (the peepee hole allows the tail to fit through...) and use a feminine napkin.

Usually I would say keep them clear of each other and her away from males in general for a whole month or an extra week longer than the seasons tend to last, just to be safe.

4. thedogsmother

We have laminate in the lounge but she keeps going on the rug so it looks like I'll have to roll it up and put it away till shes finished. Is Bob neutered?

I have a young boy so I will steal a pair of his old undies and give it a go, so just over 3 weeks till shes safe to mix again, Ive been walking her late on and in a big secluded field, so far we have managed to spot any dogs in the distance and avoided them, but this season business is a pain, Im glad shes probably only ever going to have one.

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes he is but I worry that him mounting the girls might lead to a phantom, I'd have then spayed but they aren't my dogs to make that decision for

6. thedogsmother

Flippin eck, I didnt know it can cause phantoms, I havent let Henrick get any further than a glint in his eye and one leg up as he approaches her but hes made his intentions apparant enough, Im glad Ive been so careful now.

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

oh hun, I didn't mean to worry you, I'm not totally sure about this as I haven't read up on it, it was something I heard somewhere years ago & never questioned, someone in the breeding section like Tanya would probably know loads more about it
    I'm sorry!

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry too much about phantoms with regards to the humping, IME it doesn't really have much correlation. There is a high incidence of phantoms occuring with the first season though. Providing you keep her protein level down, and her exercise up (once her season is finished) then the chances of a phantom are limited.

Phantoms aren't a major problem with the correct management, but are just distressing if they are allowed to progress into a full blown one. Normally you can nip them in the bud though.

9. thedogsmother

Thankies, what should I look out for? will she be alright on her usual food?, shes on skinners duck and rice and they get a meaty bone every other day.

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Change in temperament is the first thing. She may seem a little off colour or clingy. Lethargy is quite a big indicator too, and toy collecting. If she collects toys take them off her (as painful as it may seem) and don't give in to her whining for them back. Its all about trying to break the cycle if it starts. Plenty of exercise and distractions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice