Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seasonal canine illness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Crossed from another Forum

DOG OWNERS WARNED TO STAY ALERT AS CASES OF MYSTERY ILLNESS EXPECTED TO REOCCUR

We are warning dog owners to stay vigilant for the signs of seasonal canine illness (SCI), a mystery illness which in recent years made a number of dogs walked in woodlands suddenly become ill.

Cases of SCI are usually seen from August to November with dogs showing clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhoea and/or lethargy within 24 to 72 hours of walking in woodland. Dog owners are advised to seek immediate veterinary advice should they see these signs in their dog following a woodland walk.

Despite no definite cause being recognised, we have identified a number of common themes which may increase a dog’s susceptibility to SCI.

We are advising dog owners planning to visit woodlands this autumn to ensure that their pets are up-to-date with preventive treatments for external parasites such as Harvest mites. Products available without prescription may not offer sufficient protection against mites so please contact your local vet to discuss which options are suitable.

Distance travelled may also be a factor. If you are travelling with your dog, ensure a supply of fresh water is always available and give your dog plenty of breaks from the heat of the car. Also bear in mind that accommodation such as conservatories and caravans heat up incredibly quickly and may lead to dehydration in your dog.

We are continuing to ask dog owners who walk their dogs at any of the five study sites: Sandringham Estate or Thetford Forest, Norfolk, Clumber Park or Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire or Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, to complete our online questionnaire at Seasonal Canine Illness - SCI | Animal Health Trust

Charlotte Robin, our SCI Research Co-ordinator, said “We desperately need information from dogs which have been walked at any of our study sites, even if they did not become ill. The information we can glean from owners of dogs who walked at the sites and didn’t show clinical signs of SCI is just as important to our investigation, as information from affected dogs.”

We want to also highlight that dogs could be a risk of SCI walking at any woodland during autumn, so we are advising dog owners to remain vigilant and to seek veterinary advice immediately if they suspect their dog has SCI.

2. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Is this not the same thing that has been going on in the woodlands down south?

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I have no idea it maybe, just cross posted it so people would be aware that it is about.

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

A useful reminder. I hate this time of year as my parents live in the sherwood area and I usually visit weekly for walks with my dogs. I didn't know you could get mite treatment so will be asking my vet about it.

5. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

Clumber Park is my favourite place to go but we usually avoid it during the peak 'danger period'. :(

We go back after the first frosts. I've even mentioned SCI on a Factsheet I've done on dog walking in this area. (I work in a Tourist Information Centre).

Horrible.

6. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thoresbury and Rufford should be avoided as well. There are warning signs at Thoresbury and I believe there has been a case at Rufford.

7. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Most of the woodlands affected are where we often walk which is a shame, also had past cases at blidworth, haywood oaks, thieves wood not just Sherwood & clumber. My dogs don't go offlead so are probably low risk sticking to paths but I prefer to just walk in less wooded area's for those few months per year given we drive there anyway.

Is there another apart from advocate that does mites?

#7 2Hounds, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Ooh thank you I am having next week off and had thought about Rendlesham for a walk :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice