Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seasonal canine illness concern

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jobeth, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I took the dogs to Thoresbury (near Clumber Park) yesterday. I just kept them on the field area and didn't go around the woods. My yorkie has been sick once and her stomach is a bit upset. Other than that she is fine and doesn't have the lethargy that is the third symptom. She's been eating and playing. I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but I know of someone's dog that died from it. Does anyone know if just two symptoms is enough to worry?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Symptoms usually start within 24hours of being walked.
    Its usually severe vomiting, diarrhoea, shaking/trembling and some have a high temperature too.

I wouldn't start to panic just yet. Just watch her to make sure symptoms don't get worse or escalate.

Treatment is IV fluids and antibiotics, if they have it and although a few dogs have died the majority do recover within 10 days. There is a good possibility that the ones that did die were not treated early enough.

Seasonal Canine Illness

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. I'm sure it is just a coincidence, but will watch her carefully as she is tiny. I feel bad as I knew about it and so stayed out of the woods.

All the nice places there are where I meet my parents most weeks. I can't expect them to drive to my area until December though and so wondered if Cresswell Crags was safer as that isn't too far for them.

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

The AHT is collecting data re SCI (I am at their seminar on Thursday) so they lile to hear from people who have visited the relevant areas with dogs whether or not they develope symptoms/illness to determine the seriousness of the issue.

So please consider completing the questionnaire (see link)

SCI FAQ's | Animal Health Trust

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Is this the same thing that has been happening in Dorset/Hampshire? Ours starts with a foot sore and ends in kidney failure.:(

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

No that is not deemed to be related to SCI, it is another issue not yet pinpointed.

8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I'll fill in the questionnaire. Will you let us know the outcome of the review? I'm lucky not to live in one of those areas, but unfortunately my parents do.

9. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I have the stats from the last AHT seminar I attended on SCI

Questionnaire Responses (Combined 2010 and 2011)

Study Area Cases Controls Total Questionnaires Received
    Clumber Park 4 63 67
    Rendlesham Forest 34 13 47
    Sandringham Est 86 206 292
    Sherwood Forest 14 16 30
    Thetford Forest 19 147 166
    Total 157 445 602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice