Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seasonal Allergy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mr Green, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Mr Green

Mr Green PetForums Newbie

My father has 2 male Border Terriers (brothers) which are about 4 years old. One of the dogs has a terrible seasonal allergy, and carries the following symptoms:

* Hotspots/sores
    * Hairloss (mainly around the sores)
    * Scummy eyes
    * Itching/scratching (scratching with hind legs AND dragging his underbelly along the ground)
    * Fungal infection of the underbelly and under the legs (which smells)

He is obviously in a lot of pain and is very tired out and restless. Has no trouble eating or drinking which I suppose is good.

He has been to a few vets who have tried/asked us to try various things, including:

* Fuciderm cream - does help with the hotspots/sores, but doesn't clear them up
    * Piritin - no effect
    * Malaseb medicated shampoo - takes the fungal smell away temporarily
    * steroid injections - this was some time last year I believe, picked him up temporarily but obviously didn't cure the problem.

A food additive was also tried which was useless, I cant remember the name off-hand. After walks he is wiped down to try and remove the pollen from his coat.

Has anyone else had experience of this? We don't know what to do, and it's horrible having a dog in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated :(

If i've missed anything, or you need any more info please ask!

Mr. Green

2. rona

rona Guest

I meet a man sometimes who has had exactly the same problem, he has managed to get it under control, but i can't for the life of me remember how, I know he keeps his out of long grass and water.
    If I bump into him I will find out more info and post it

3. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

Hi sorry to hear that you dad's having problems with his dog, what are the dogs fed on. Sometimes many dog suffer with food allergies, our older bitch Poppy started scratching alot several months ago, we knew it wasn't a flea allergy as they are regularly checked and treated for this and ticks etc. The vet saw Poppy when she had red hot spots all underneath her stomach and around her private area, the first week of antibiotiocs made no difference and when i went back to the vet they changed them and also gave us some strong steriod cream, within 24-48 hours there was a marked difference in the rash/lumps they seemed a lot lighter in colour and not so angry. I spoke to the vet and he thinks she had come into contact with something on the grass as she squats for a wee etc. After all the red areas had improved and gone, she still continued to scratch more than normal, so it was suggest i change the food as she may have developed an allergy to the food she was on, she use to be fed JWB Chicken/rice or lamb/rice, the vet suggest trying her on the fish/rice, the scratching has improved a good deal, so we continue to give her the fish/rice and hope it continues. No sign of the raised red rash again thankfully:)

It may be something on the grass that is effecting yours, as if he is lying flat out on his stomach on the grass like our youngster does he is exposing his stomach and undercarriage to it constantly. It's terrible difficult to find out what causes allergies, do you have this only in the summer months, i have a friend who has a labrador and he has an allergy to grass, which makes him scrach himself raw at times.

4. Mr Green

Mr Green PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far! Originally we thought it might be a food allergy, and have tried every diet imaginable, reccommended to us by the vet. The dogs are currently fed on Bakers Complete (small dog).

It's almost certainly a seasonal thing, although it doesn't go away completely in the winter months, it certainly improves a fair bit. In the height of summer, it is at it's worst.

Being Border Terriers, they love running through the long grass and exploring, so when they go on walks this is what they tend to do. They also like to lie down with there legs stretched out behind them, as you described.

If it is some sort of grass/pollen allergy, is there any way at al to treat it? It is obviously very difficult to walk the dogs and not let them near grass :(

5. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

other than keepinmg them on a lead and not letting them come in contact with grass i can't think of a solution to that. It's very hard a border love to run about free and explore as much as they can and chace the odd rabbit or 2 it's what terriers are all about.

I would strongly advise you to chuck out the Bakers complete dry dog food as it contains a great deal of additives and preservatives, and try something like the JWB or Arden Grange or Hills these are all good dry dog foods, we give the JWB as they do the Hypo allegenic where there is no additives and prservatives added.

Some people like tinned chappie as an alternative to dry food

Anne:)

6. crackerjack

crackerjack PetForums Newbie

My dog has had a seasonal allergy for many years. It generally starts in July and lasts until October. This year it started late. Signs/symptoms are itchy red feet and underside with some sores that are caused from excessive itching. It was difficult for me to watch him suffer until the right medications were found. Initially vets usually think this is a food allergy but the seasonal component suggests otherwise. He is an 80 lb dog and usually 75mg benadryl 2x a day is good enough. Some years it is worse so he takes a stronger med prescribed by the vet. We could not use the strong steriods because it caused frequent urination. The other drug is like a strong benadryl..sorry can't remember the name. A topical that also is used in conjunction and really made a big difference is called "Genesis" topical spray. It is easy to apply but if there are open sores the dog will be resistant. This effective combination took years to figure out. It is a grass pollen allergy. Keeping the grass cut keeps down pollen levels. His ears do get waxier during this time and can stink so I just have to clean them out more often. It had never been diagnosed as a yeast infection but it does get smelly if not cleaned often. Frequent bathing keeps the pollen off the skin and is also very helpful. It is a lot of work but it has to be done for this guy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice