Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

season?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxbailliexx, Jun 7, 2010.

1. xxbailliexx

xxbailliexx PetForums Member

hi everyone
    as some of yous lovely people know we have baillie a 10 month old staffie girl.
    when we picked her up we were told she had'nt had her 1st season yet so we have been keeping our eye on her. her bits have been swollen for a few days and when she got up on saturday from sitting there was a dot of blood, i checked her paws just incase but they were fine. Her bits are really swollen now and there has been a few more spots of blood but not alot. we are unsure if she is having her 1st season or not but are not taking her out (she has the back garden)
    we have no idea :eek: she's very clingy but she's been like that since we got her. is there any other signs she could be in season. she's been cleaning herself like mad.
    thanks

2. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

her bits are swollen, you've seen a few spots of blood and she's cleaning herself. I think it's quite safe to say that she's in season ;)

If you want to be absolutely sure, next time she comes in from having a wee, dab her bits with some soft tissue paper very gently then check the tissue to see what colour it is. About half way through the season the colour of loss will change to a very light pinky yellow (straw) colour. Don't be fooled into thinking this is the end of it as this will be her 'peak' time and will last for a few days before going back to red.

3. xxbailliexx

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

The season usually lasts around 3 weeks but to keep absolutely safe then 4 weeks would be fine.

My little Tipsy is in season now, I kept her here with me for the first 10 days along with my two boys but was keeping them apart. She's now staying with OH along with her mother for company and I have all 3 boys with me. Better to be safe than sorry ;)

5. xxbailliexx

yes we want to make sure there is NO accidents and there is a lot of dogs just roaming around here so not taking any chances!! she will be getting spayed as soon as possible. thanks again x

6. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Just to add to the good advice you've already received, some bitches are very good at keeping themselves clean. There are a couple of things that are useful though - I do a tissue test, just dab the vulva with a tissue (preferably first thing when they've just got up) and you will normally see the discharge, or alternatively, put an only white sheet on her bed and you are likely to see the tell tale signs.

Just one other thing, it's good that you are keeping her in during her season, but don't leave her in the garden unattended at any time. Dogs have been known to climb very high fences just to get into the garden. If by any chance you do find a dog makes their way into your garden (quite possible if you have a lot of strays), then just clamp your hand over her vulva and get her inside.

7. xxbailliexx

thanks rocco33
    she's defo in season i put a white towel in her bed and when she got up there was defo blood and within the last hour her bits have really swollen so thats her grounded for the next 4 weeks :D shes being really good and is doing a very good job of keeping herself clean.

she wont be in the garden herself, she is'nt getting out of my sight lol except tomorrow as i have my daughters school trip but hubby is taking the day off work as it would be to long to leave baillie. He has been given strict instructions to be with her in the garden at all times, although to be fair he's the same as me and absoloutely does not want anything happening to baillie (there is enough staffies around without us adding to them)

its not so much strays around us its just numpties who just open the door and let their dogs out because their to lazy to walk them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice