Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Season dilemma!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by peppapug, Jul 13, 2009.

1. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Ok, this feels like the longest season in the world.

My boy is at the pet carers. I was hoping to swop him for his mum so they did 1.5 weeks each. The pet carer would rather now keep the boy as apparantly he is having fun and she feels bitch in season may be a challenge, fair enough.

Apart from missing my like crazy, 3 weeks is such a long time! i have a dilemma.

We have a static caravan for weekends and have my family coming for my OH birthday this weekend. We go all the time with the dogs but is it fair to take my girl in season? It has a 7 mile sandy dog beach but will she cause chaos? Don't want to be unfair to either my or other dogs but with it being a birthday event also can't cancel.

:(

2. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

i personally wouldn't take her, can't you do a swop for the weekend and get the pet carer to have her and you take the dog with you. you don't want her to get pestered on the beach even if you are careful and walk her when no dogs are about. A bitch in season is not so much trouble, you just got to be careful. Poppy our oldest girl is in season now and she's no bother at all, a bit depressed now and again but she keeps herself very clean.

good luck :)

3. peppapug

See this is why i like this forum, there is always someone that will give you the obvious solution that i should have thought of!!!! :rolleyes:

All sorted. Pet carer is having mum pug for the weekend and i am having my boy then they swop back on Sunday. She runs a creche so weekends are better to have a bitch in season.

I can't wait to have my boy back, even if it is only for a weekend.

What is the safest signs to look for that they are ok to be back together again? I have my litter reunion on the 24 which will be about day 20 and they both ought to be there!!!

4. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

at 20 days she will probably still be fertile and receptive to male dogs, i personally keep mine away from male dogs until at least 25 days, you hear alot about bitches that get caught at the end of there season.

Her lady bits will have reduced and she will no longer be licking them as much, the constant peeing should also have stopped, all good signs that she is finishing. My girl is nearly finished but i still won't take her in mixed company until the weekend, so no dog training tonight for her, just the little one:)

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If you spray her to take the smell away and keep her on the lead the chances are she will be ok. They are all different and some will be well finished by then others will be very receptive. If it is a problem can you put her somewhere out of the way. I take it you are going to get her spayed before she has another season.

6. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Its hard looking after a bitch in season especially when a dog is in the house too. I would'nt take her to the caravan either or you may have every dog in the neighbourhood knocking at the door. When my bitch was in season years ago I remember opening my front door and there was about 3 dogs waiting outside..lol.

7. peppapug

She is not going to the caravan her son is and she is going to the pet carers for the weekend who will only have bitches. I did visualise the caravan being surrounded by handsome boys wanting their wicked way! This way i get my boy back even if only for one weekend.

As for the 20th day when the litter reunion happens, as the rest of the litter are bitches, she only had one boy, mine, i will keep a close eye. He is crated at night, she isnt so they are seperate unless under supervision. She wasnt receptive by day 18 last season as they tried her with the stud and she went for him but was receptive on day 14 and 16 (quite late).

I guess it will be an observe thing. And yes i can't wait to have her spayed, this has been a horrible situation all round but couldnt be helped as the vets wouldnt spay her until she had had this season after her litter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice