Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Searching for advice on dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dancer, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dancer

dancer PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have been asked to find out information on where dog owners go for advice on what to feed their pets and I was wondering if I could trouble you for some information on this.

Where would you go for information on dog nutrition (and types of dog food)?
    1) Do you go to forums such as this one for advice?
    2) Would you ask your vet?
    3) Would you 'google' it and what sites would you 'trust'?
    4) Would you ask a pet nutritionist?

Thank you for all and any help.

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

1) Do you go to forums such as this one for advice?
    Yes, i found this forum very helpful and it did help me decide that arden grange was the right food for zeb at the time
    2) Would you ask your vet?
    Not sure as they try and push thier own food on to you 98% of the time and they tend to have a wonderfully high price to go with them i would ask an opinion but wouldnt take much notice if they were pushing thier own vet brand food but i might if they recommended a regular shop/internet brought food like jwb,arden grange,skinners e.t.c.
    3) Would you 'google' it and what sites would you 'trust'?
    ive googled the new food im changing too skinners and read reviews from real people to help us know that its a good food.
    4) Would you ask a pet nutritionist?
    yes if i knew one and didnt have to pay £££££ to see one just for advice on which food

3. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

check the posts: dry food or wet food? here and also Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................ both thread in dogs' health and nutrition

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

just look at the bags of dog food - look at their ingredients if they seem healthy and they are things your recognise then buy it. Dont buy from your vet and dont take food advice from your vet - for the most part they all stock science plan which is the worst and most expensive food in the world.

Look for foods containing meat in their top 4 ideally top 3 listings in the ingredients, avoid e numbers, avoid maize unless its low on the list, avoid fillers like cereals - they contain little nutrition. ;)

There is a leagal difference between a Dietitian and a nutritionist the first one is reccommended the second hold only weight of opionon so what ive heard:)

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i imagine most people go to either a pet shop or a vet or advice from their breeder or even a friend.

others will get whatever asda has on the shelf.

i also imagine that judging by the questions most people are not really au fait with what goes into a dog food and what constitutes a good dog food.
    and when they do get to know a lot are amazed at what is actually in or not in the foods.

as there are millions of dog owners in the u.k. i think i am safe in saying that it is only a small percentage that are online in forums and stuff.

so using that theory i assume the above.

but saying that some dogs eat bakers all their life and are fine where others may have issues with even the best foods.

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I have used this forum for advice and also my vet who although she stocks Arden Grange she will not push it at anyone, she just mentions about 5/6 makes that she would use subject to your pocket, shes a nice lass :D
    Yes I google things but will occasionaly post a thread about what I have googled just so I can see if the answers I get will confirm my theory. I like to double check things on occasion:rolleyes:

7. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

This forum is great and i have got some really good advice from here.

I asked my vet and they reccommened hills which i soon found out they get commision for reccomending that so no i wont be asking them again

I have googled vertain foods and read reviews on them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice