Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seachem Prime .... advise needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

hi all,

Purchased some Seachem prime to use when doing water changes instead of tap safe.

The bottle says use 2 drops every 4L of new water ... so I changed 60L from a 200L tank and replaced 16L a time ( the size of my bucket ) so I put 8 drops in each bucket equaling 32 drops in total in the 60 L change... I then read the bottle and it says that 50ml bottle treats two thousand litres and I used about half the bottle in my 60L change.... is this going to put my fish at risk?... how much do others use when using seachem prime for water changes?... how much is a DROP!? .... tagging @NaomiM as I know you use this product

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Your dosing sounds about right to me, 32 drops sounds correct, but that should only be around 1.5 ml or so? Are you saying you've used 25 ml? :eek:
    I know you can double and even triple dose Prime with no ill effects, but I've no idea at what point it would become too much for the fish.

According to my bottle, 5 ml treats 200L so I use 10 ml to treat my 450L tank, as I do roughly 80% water changes.

Oliver's Exotics likes this.
  3. Fishnewbie

Thanks for your reply! My fault really all though the bottle just say two drops which isn’t helpful, I think about 20 mls I used... so in future when doing water changes just drop a couple MLs per bucket? May just go back to tap safe was a lot simpler, having looked online it says it’s non toxic so hopefully ok, il keep a close eye I guess, if anyone has any more info please share

4. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

If half the bottle has gone after 32 drops that sounds like big drops! What did you use to drop it in? Its been a while since I purchased a 50ml bottle and cant remember if it comes with a dropper type top or not.
    I use a syringe to dose mine, 1ml doses 40l water so if you want to dose 60ml you need 1.5mls.
    I`ve just read your reply no I drop would not be 20mls 1 cap is 5mls!
    It is safe to dose up to 5 times the amount of prime so you should be ok.

5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

sorry I think I`ve read your reply wrong - you mean you used 20mls in total not one drop was 20mls - its been a long day!

Edit to add Prime is much better than tapsafe, if you get yourself a small syringe from the chemist you will be able to measure it accurately.

6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Yeah, 'drops' is a bit vague, I do prefer directions to be more exact than that. As @3dogs2cats says I would just get a 1 ml syringe and use that to dose with, you'll need less than a ml per bucket. If it helps, 1 ml is supposed to be about 20 drops, so your 8 drops per 16L bucket should be about 0.4 ml per bucket if my maths is right?

Prime is very economical compared to other dechlorinators, as evidenced by this thread you only need to use a tiny amount :)

7. Fishnewbie

Thanks, my drops were a lot larger than that... il get a syringe and do that going forward!! Let’s hope this doesn’t mess the tank up, I imagine after a few days it would have all broken down and circulated?

8. Fishnewbie

Yes overall 20... thanks for your response and info, il keep an eye for the next couple days hopefully no impact..

9. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Wouldn't hurt to do a 50% water change if you're worried.

I also use a syringe for dosing.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice