Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

SD-Caesars legacy in the UK... another assistance-k9

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, Jun 3, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

this article is an HTML-version of a pdf-press release -
    http://tinyurl.com/2fhp69e

this dog is the result of pure serendipity at the beginning, and plain old training at the end -
    wendy and Caesar were a well-honed team, and Caesar was her mobility-partner. he arrived already trained,
    and approx 5-years later, he began acting very oddly; finally *wendy realized that he was alerting on pending seizures.
    he was re-trained to give a reliable alert, and his anxious behavior disappeared, to be replaced by a happy, competent
    dog being rewarded for giving his partner 30-mins or more to get safe.

another 4 or 5 years, and he began to alert on her friend - each time, she had an Addisons crisis and went into hospital.
    this dog was trained by a UK-program to become the worlds first Addison's Alert Dog, registered in the UK; his partner has not had an Addisonian Crisis since he arrived.

as *wendy says, Never underestimate the power of the nose...

RIP, Caesar - that;ll do, good boy... ;)

#1 leashedForLife, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Corinthian likes this.
  2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That's a great story Terry :)

I would like to take this chance to alert PF members to a NEW charity in the UK called DogAID. This is the first & only charity in the UK which helps train people's OWN dogs to aid them in whatever disability they have.

So far I don't think DogAID have had any publicity here and I only found out about it when a Facebook friend (lovely lady..... also very good trainer) posted about it when she applied to become a registered trainer with them and was accepted. She has since been to seminars and I wish her all the luck in the world, as the existing dog-disability charities here are over subscribed and not always quite in tune with some peoples' needs.

DogAID dogs are not be able to wear an official jacket and be accepted as genuine assistance dogs yet.... but that is something that needs support to make happen.

home page

Think I will make a new post about this later but for now it seems approriate to mention it here :) sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread Terry :)

3. leashedForLife

oh, no worries! :thumbup: i think it sounds fine, so long as the pet-dog makes the grade + learns the task, its great!

but they may or may not reach real public-access standards - and if they don;t they can still be a terrific help at home.
    :thumbup: its all good...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice