Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"s'cuse me, but do you have trouble with S#@% sticking to your fur!!!?"

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Mixinmytosties, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Mixinmytosties

Mixinmytosties PetForums Newbie

I'm sure everyone's heard that joke before, but one of our New Zealand whites has recently started experiencing significant matting around the rear!
    Any ideas how to avoid this or deal with it?

Thanks

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

reduce the food mix u are giving them (or give them one with more fiber content) give them a lot more hay and limit his veg til it settles.

In the mean time it is really important u get the poop off him or he'll get flystirke and he will be eaten alive by maggots. a bath with rabbit shampoo or a good brush

3. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Dexie used to suffer with this and i had to bath her every other day! You can also try combing it out but the best option is stick her in a very shallow bath jusy covering her bottom for a couple of mins and the poo will just come off!

Has she put on wieght recently and cant clean herself or have you changed her diet or do you know why this has just started?

Make sure its clean as this can lead to flystrike :(

4. Mixinmytosties

Mixinmytosties PetForums Newbie

I think it may be possibly related to the loss of Buffy, not like she's binge-eating or anything, but it appears that Buffy obviously used to eat most of the food.
    I have, as of this morning, put the lettuce basket well out of reach as i think this may be a contributing factor but she always used to maintain her own grooming quite sufficiently.

...and we have introduced a buck called Fudge!
    Although they're still in the bonding stage and kept reasonably seperate!

I suspect it's bath time very soon!

5. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Rabbits shouldnt eat lettuce it can be dangerous for them, try some fresh greens, or cabbage or parsley - see the food list thread a bit further down the page it may be helpful x

Good luck with the bath and with bonding!! :D

You got any pics? i love new zealand whites soooo much x

6. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i had a netherland dwarf who used to get poop stuck to her often. id give her a bath, and blowdry which she loved!!!!! id also trim the fur slightly with some scissors. although she didnt like being handled she loved being groomed. and would sit still for ages! bless her

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

if i was covered in fur i think id love a bath too

8. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Dont feed lettuce that is the problem!! Mine only get a handle of pellets each once a day thats all they need. Should have mostly hay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice