Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

scratching !

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by janey70, Aug 22, 2013.

1. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

hi could someone give me some advice please , my 4yr old staffy male wont stop chewing and nibbling his paws his making them red but not raw at the moment but wont be long if he doesnt stop also he keeps scratching his stomach with his back legs which seems to now be going raw and worried about infection he doesnt seem to be licking it just scratching ,ive checked him for fleas with a flea comb and turned him on his stomach where fur is a lot thinner but cant see any flea dirt or fleas he is due to be fleaed again but dont want to aggravate his skin if it isnt fleas . what can i do to help him i know i wont be able to get in the pdsa until next week or if im lucky tomorrow but dont hold much hope :nonod: .thanks for any advice

2. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

What do you feed him?

3. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

dry dog food havnt changed his food

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

What brand?

He really must see a vet - if you cannot use the PDSA tomorrow, then he really needs to be taken to a regular vet.

5. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

wagg. and gonna to tell them its an emergency tell them whats happening im so worried about the sore on his belly looks like a unhealed scrape wet and red

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Wagg is probably nine tenths of your problem - it's full of wheat and maize, which are extremely well known allergens and almost completely indigestible. Wagg also contains known carcinogenic additives. :(

How long has he been like this?

7. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

his been chewing his paws for few weeks i tell him to stop but he did start doing this last summer but stopped . but he didnt have a sore last year and the food is what his been on for ages well before all this started

8. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

It doesn't matter that's he's been on this food for ages to be honest. It is most likely your problem as Sixstar said. My girl had a similar issue but it was nearly a year before it was evident

9. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

right well he has hopefully got pdsa tomorrow and will ask them about the food i might change it. any good but reasonably priced dry dogs food u could recommend i used to buy james wellbeloved when he was a puppy but it was hard to get locally and ended up being expensive.

10. Terry Delgado

Terry Delgado PetForums Junior

11. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Feet nibbling can be the cause of lots of things.

- Hot spots
    - Wet eczema
    - Anal gland issues
    - Allergies
    - Yeast infection.
    - Lick Granulnoma (but if he is scratching the rest of his body then it is likely to be the above)

He could also have mites.

Your dog needs to see a vet. Thats the only way you'll get to the bottom of it.

In the meantime, if you can't get a vets appointment sooner, if you can get this: Pet Head Lifes An Itch Skin Soothing Shampoo 475ml - Kennelgate and give him a bath with it, it could help. If you can put some baby socks on his paws to stop him scratching his belly raw. Put some hypo-allergenic moisturiser on his tummy to soothe the irritation.

If you are also able to order off the internet, some thornit powder inbetween his toes shouldn't hurt either.

Could you post pictures of his body that he has scratched and also his paws, in between his toes also.

12. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

If she changed her food to a better brand with less grains how long will it take for the rash to leave?

I would recommend asking your vets about benadryl or something of the like. I think Piriton works better for the itching though.<--If you buy this from chemist (the none brand version, ask in store) its like £1.88 for 28 pills.

To make him more confortable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice