Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scratching other dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by babycham2002, Apr 13, 2011.

1. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Didn't know whether to put this in training or breeding really as to my untrained eye I would call this 'flirting'

Percy is a 18 month old entire chinese crested.
    When he is feeling a bit overexcited or amorous he wil scratch furiously at Willow's (16 month GR) coat, both front paws furiously scratching which ends up pulling out undercoat. It can be on any part of the body but quite often her chest. Sometimes this is followed by humping her.
    Now Willow doesn't mind this, infact she loves it as being a goldie she loves a good scratch and rub. It doesnt damage her coat as he doesnt do it often enough in the same spot. So the behaviour itself isnt really a problem I was just interested if anyone had any views on it or had seen it before?
    He did do it to a friendly male german shepherd we were walking with the other day as well. As well as some other female dogs that we meet. Obviously I am very careful to watch the body language of dogs involved as it may not be welcome by some.

2. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Does your Crestie get licked by other dogs? When Freddie met one, he was fascinated and it liked him to it seemed, lots of play gestures despite considerable size difference.

Then the owner told me about a hip injury, and I kind of though .. yikes... those matchstick legs and he is encouraging play sesh with a young BC, who's used to leaning on GR's, Labs and the like.

Find the scratching interesting, nearest I've seen is paw lift, as a play invite gesture, which can run nails through fur. Hope soemone who knows about this, spots the thread :)

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Thanks Robd
    The only other dog I have seen lick him is my mums crestie.
    Thankfully DD on here who owns CCs too contacted me and she said her cresties all do it so it must be a special crestie thing!!
    Funny lil creatures :)

4. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Ah I was curious, as my dog was very fascinated, I think they can sweat so I wondered if other dogs got pestilential, with them :)
    He seemed to find the Crestie very different and investigated.. and investigated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice