Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scratching furniture- what's the best deterrent ?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Brightonian, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Member

Hello everyone :)

I moved last week with my 2 cats and now they have settled a bit more they have started to scratch the sofas. I have a scratch pad but they aren't interested! I used to use the double sided tape strips but wondered if anyone had come across anything better? Xx

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Do you have any vertical scratch posts or cat climbers to give your cats somewhere to stretch up to scratch,like these.............Cat Scratching Posts: Free P&P on orders £25+ at zooplus!

Medium Cat Trees: Free P&P on orders £25+ at zooplus!

Meeko my Raggie does the rounds of his,he has a few dotted around the house.

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

I find double-sided sticky tape very effective. :)

The other thing I use is cheap self-adhesive carpet tiles, nice dark colours, cut them to fit, stick them on the sides of the sofa or door frame or wherever and then the cat can scratch away happily without damage.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Provide lots of cat scratchers and cat trees, as others have said. Have several different types in every room the cats use. Rub all the cat trees etc with powdered cat nip.

When your cat goes to scratch the sofa, lift him/her up calmly and take them to the nearest scratcher, (several of which should be near the sofa) and gently paddle their front paws up and down on the scratcher, mimicking the movement they would make themselves. Be prepared to do this quite a few times until your cat understands what is expected of them.

This method has never failed to work for me with all the cat & kitten companions I have ever had, including senior rescued cats, who might have been expected to be too old to change their ways, but were not!.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice