Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scratching board to dull nails?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ArwenLune, May 16, 2010.

1. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

I have (since yesterday) two awesome indoor cats. They came to me from the shelter with razorsharp nails, and that's becoming a problem as they like to stand up against your legs while cooking and their nails get stuck in trousers.

I have a sistal scratching board (which they've started using) but they kind of get stuck in that too.

My old cat would tolerate having his nails clipped and that solved the problem, but these aren't happy with that (or filing the nails) and it'll take a while to get them used to that, if I manage it at all.

Are there scratching boards that help wear down the nails instead of honing them into needle-like points? Is the cardboard better for that than sisal or does it not matter? Should I try to convince them to scratch very fine sandpaper? (I doubt they'll go for that).

2. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I have personally never heard of a scratching mat/board/post that dulls the nails, although this is probably down to the claw's themselves.

Cats claws don't grow like ours (lengthwise from the nail bed). A cat's claws are more like an onion; they have very thin film-like layers which get rubbed off when a cat scratches and digs its claws into a post or mat. As far as I'm aware these layers grow continuously to replace the old and worn layers. This is also why you have to clip a cat's nails once in a while because they get sharp again! :D

I'm sure other people will have suggestions, but the best bet may be getting them used to their claws being trimmed, and to possibly teach them that digging their claws into trousers or legs is usually a bad idea and not wanted behaviour :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice