Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

scratching beagle/springer..

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kundian, Apr 30, 2011.

1. kundian

kundian PetForums Newbie

I have a rescue 4yo springer/beagle.. who scratches and bites his the tops of his legs.. vet claims it might be a skin irritation caused by food.. i had him on Acana wild prairie which is grain free - but now have been given hills prescription diet d/d which he doesnt like so much. He has also been taken off the marrobone treats from pedigree chum. We have omega 3 added to the diet and still things are the same with him.. any ideas would be great.

Also any tips on how to get him to eat dry food, he eats once there are bits of ham or chicken hidden within the food, but otherwise he doesnt. Any neat tips would be great.

any beagle/springer owners out there.. i think he is that, is there a place i can send away to be sure?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Would you consider feeding raw? I think it's often very successful with dogs that have intolerances.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Allergys can be a factor, but there can be various other problems causing skin irritation too, there are several types of mites, some can burrow under the skin, dogs can get flea allergys where the saliva in their bites can cause an allergy, you can also get fungal skin infections and bacterial. Has your vet ruled all these out and is that why he has thought maybe its food?

You can get some spot ons that do mites as well, some only tend to do fleas and ticks. the ones that do mites as well tend to be prescription only ones.Fungal infections would need specific treatment and bacterial infections would require antibiotics. Dogs can even get allergies to things in the environment like grass,pollen and dust mites for example.

One good thing that helps with itchy dogs is dermacton comes in shampoo bars, sprays, and ointment, if the vets ruled out all the above that might be worth a go its not wildly expensive Aromesse Natural Animal Healthcare Products for Dogs, Cats and Horses its all natural too.

To get him to eat dry food, you could try mixing it with a little warm water,
    or there is even types of dog gravies you can make up and mix in. (the human equivalents may be too high in salt)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice