Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scratching and grooming - stress related?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kat74Em, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

Over the last two days I've noticed that Harry seems to be scratching around his head/neck area quite frequently (on both sides) and occasionally shaking his head. Because I've been watching him like a hawk this evening I'm sure I've noticed that he's washing a bit more than usual too.

We thought maybe there was something in his ears so OH had a good look and couldn't see anything untoward, and we can't see any evidence of fleas on him. However, there's clearly something bothering him to make him want to scratch and groom more.

I'm wondering if it could be stress-related? There were quite a lot of fireworks going off over the last two weekends and he gets quite unsettled by them.

I'll be making a vets appointment, but from reading similar threads it seems this kind of behaviour isn't always easily explained :(

2. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

As there any black spots in his ears? Ear mites perhaps? Drove Geoffrey crazy when he got them! Easily cleared up with ear drops. :D

3. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

We couldn't see anything in his ears, but I suppose it could be something deep inside. I don't know if that would explain the extra grooming though? Unless the irritation is stressing him out a bit...

4. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

So, after saying there was no evidence of fleas....I found evidence of fleas :eek:

There was some flea dirt on one of the places Harry sleeps. I feel like a really bad slave now as he was a little overdue a flea treatment, but as it's almost winter I wasn't too worried :eek:

I did him on Tuesday night as soon as I found the flea dirt. He was still scratching and grooming last night - Frontline packet says it takes around 24hrs to kill nearly all fleas. I'm going to phone the vets again today to see what they advise (he's booked in for tomorrow anyway), but can I ask you wise peeps is there anything else can I do for him?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice