UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last two days I've noticed that Harry seems to be scratching around his head/neck area quite frequently (on both sides) and occasionally shaking his head. Because I've been watching him like a hawk this evening I'm sure I've noticed that he's washing a bit more than usual too.

We thought maybe there was something in his ears so OH had a good look and couldn't see anything untoward, and we can't see any evidence of fleas on him. However, there's clearly something bothering him to make him want to scratch and groom more.

I'm wondering if it could be stress-related? There were quite a lot of fireworks going off over the last two weekends and he gets quite unsettled by them.

I'll be making a vets appointment, but from reading similar threads it seems this kind of behaviour isn't always easily explained :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We couldn't see anything in his ears, but I suppose it could be something deep inside. I don't know if that would explain the extra grooming though? Unless the irritation is stressing him out a bit...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, after saying there was no evidence of fleas....I found evidence of fleas :eek:

There was some flea dirt on one of the places Harry sleeps. I feel like a really bad slave now as he was a little overdue a flea treatment, but as it's almost winter I wasn't too worried :eek:

I did him on Tuesday night as soon as I found the flea dirt. He was still scratching and grooming last night - Frontline packet says it takes around 24hrs to kill nearly all fleas. I'm going to phone the vets again today to see what they advise (he's booked in for tomorrow anyway), but can I ask you wise peeps is there anything else can I do for him?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.