Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scratches near cats ear - Warning photo attached

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by costalcabana, May 26, 2020.

1. costalcabana

costalcabana PetForums Newbie

Over the last few days my cat, Milo, has developed these cuts near his ears. He is an outdoor cat and quite timid. Initially I saw one red patch and I thought he'd been in a fight with his brother or the local bully cat. Then a day or so after he had 2 of these cuts, the next morning they were not bright red as seen in the photo and appeared to have started to heal over. The day after they were a little more red again but not a raw looking scratch/cut, and this evening he has 3 which are red so it looks like he's scratched his old ones again.

Think I may have to phone the vets tomorrow to make an appointment as I'm assuming that he's scratching himself rather than fighting. But the vets are only doing video consultations and Milo does not like being held so I doubt I'll be able to show them during the consultation.

He doesn't appear to be scratching any more than usual and I haven't noticed any black marks (mites) on his bedding...although I did wash all of the cats bedding this morning so can't check in detail. His other ear is perfectly fine.

Any thoughts as to what this might be or how to help him? Never had this problem with any of my cats. Hope the photo isn't too gruesome.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

have you shone a light to check in his ear for dark debris? He deffo has something going on whether its mites or ear infection and needs treatment. Hope hes ok

raysmyheart likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@costalcabana - yes, those do look like the sort of wounds that cats make on themselves when they scratch.

Ear mites are a possibility..... or it could be a food allergy. because itching on the head, face, or ears, can be symptoms of food allergy.

raysmyheart likes this.
  4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

It can also be a contact allergy, as he is an outdoor boy.
    A cat of my acquaintance gets sore spots exactly there because of his allergy to ivy and different sorts of grass.

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

It is time for ear mites and looks self inflicted from irritation or itch.
    Hopefully your vet will do photo consults and prescribe something. It should be quite easy fixed if ear mites.

6. costalcabana

costalcabana PetForums Newbie

The day I posted on here, Milo decided to stay out all night so I couldn't phone the vets the following day. When he did return his wounds had all healed up nicely. Until the Sunday when they were all red again. Phoned on Monday morning and managed to get an appointment on Tuesday to take him in. They gave him an injection of Antibiotics and steroids and a cone of shame as they didn't know why he was scratching. No fleas, mites or nasties.
    I knew he wouldn't be happy with a cone as even though my cats are micro chipped I tried to put a collar on them when I collected them from the Cats protection at 6 months old, Flynn accepted it but Milo was constantly scratching to remove it - he hated it . After days of scratching I removed the collar. Anyway, I half managed to put the cone on him due to the silicone push clips being very faffy when you cant out your fingers towards the bottom of the cone and he was zooming about everywhere, jumping, wide eyed and too stressed out to wear it. Rightly or wrongly took it straight off and then he calmed down. In fact he was acting stressed in the carry cage when the vet brought him out, trying to dig out of the box so I maybe she had tried to put it on him before bringing him out to me.
    It's all healed up nicely now just now and again there's a little red mark where he must have been scratching. I'll put it down to allergies of some description as theres been no change of food or fabric wash in the house.
    Thank you all for your time and advice.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@costalcabana - I am pleased to hear Milo is better. :)

Worth bearing in mind that food allergies are most likely to develop to foods the cat has been fed day after day for some while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice