Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scratches during nigth

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by MarkVader, Sep 4, 2019.

1. MarkVader

MarkVader PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Im new here and pretty new with cats as well but i try my very best for my cat to be treated as best as possible.

Maze is nearly 1 year and i have him sice October and I've never had problems with him until a week ago he started having this habit of scratching the door of my room (probably wants to get in) around 5 in the morning.
    My question is, what can i do to stop this?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @MarkVader and welcome :)

If you leave your bedroom door open at night, and ignore him (by pretending to be asleep) when he comes in your room, he will eventually get the message and settle down quietly on your bed with you.

Cats are crepuscular animals (meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk, when they would hunt). If you leave him a tasty meal of wet food in an autofeeder, timed to open at around 4.30 am, then he may not bother you at all.

If you don't want him in your room at night, then you'd need to put him in a room at night where you can close the door, so there will be two closed doors between you, and you won't hear him if he is wakeful. And also give him the autofeeder with his food in.

This is the autofeeder I use for one of my cats - it's the Cat Mate C20 - very reliable, I've had mine for over 25 yrs, used it constantly, (for different cats) and it's still as good as new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C20-Automatic-Feeder/dp/B0002YHUPC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1FVQJOTXDMUM6&keywords=cat+mate+c20+automatic+pet+feeder&qid=1567638995&s=gateway&sprefix=cat+mate+c20,aps,138&sr=8-5

sandy-cat likes this.
  3. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

I may have to take this advice @chillminx ! Sandy has always scratched politely at the door at around 4.30am for breakfast, but has never done much more than that. Fili, on the other hand, is able to open the door and push past anything I put in the way to barricade it! Last night I put a suitcase across the door (it opens inwards to the bedroom) and he got past that at around 3am. I then tried a drill kit which weighs a good 3 kgs. Still no problem for Fili - as evidenced by the fact that he was snuggled up on my chest by 5.30am :Hilarious

I really struggle to sleep with the cats on the bed, mainly Fili because he quite literally stretches across almost the entire width of the bed - but I fear I may have to get used to it :Hilarious

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice