Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scooting for attention.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by gemmyjam, Jan 14, 2021.

1. gemmyjam

gemmyjam PetForums Newbie

Hi,

It seems my Staffy has decided to start scooting as a bad behaviour, i don't believe that there is any "medical" reason why she is doing this - i believe it could be a way to gain attention or at least when she isn't getting attention she will do this. On several occasions it has been when we have left her on her own for a period of time. But it has started happening while we are at home, mainly because we are working from home & may be talking on the phone etc.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can stop this behaviour?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would start by not assuming it's for attention and eliminate medical/physical reasons.

Have her anal glands checked, and possibly a fecal.
    Has she changed foods recently?
    Is she eating and eliminating normally?

Any other itching or signs of discomfort?
    Staffies do develop allergies and/or food intolerances and this can be a symptom of a food that's not suiting her.

Sairy, Lurcherlad, Torin. and 5 others like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I agree with the above. Dogs do sometimes do things that seem to relate to being on the phone but it is highly unlikely that scooting would be one of them. I had one that used to drink noisily and some dogs will bark so that you put your attention back on them but scooting is usually caused by irritated anal glands.

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. gemmyjam

gemmyjam PetForums Newbie

@Blitz @O2.0 Thanks for your comments, i'll look into the anal glands issue. However this isn't a regular occurrence surely if she were to be irritated by something she would be doing it more than once & consistently not just on the odd occasion?

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not necessarily.

Blitz likes this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

When you hear hooves think horses, not zebras.
    Scooting butt I'd check the anal glands first.

7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Every now and then one of mine will walk a few feet then sit down. I don't even have to look to know when he does it he's got a piece of poo stuck in the fur of his backside. Once I've cleaned him up he goes back to walking properly.

Lurcherlad and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice