Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scoopfree Litter Box

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lauren_95, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Lauren_95

Lauren_95 PetForums Newbie

I have 2 cats, and recently repurchased a scoopfree litter box. I had one last year and it was great however it broke.
    The previous litter box was downstairs and I never smelt it until about 3 weeks after changing the tray however since getting a dog the new one has to be upstairs where she can’t get to it. The litter box smells after 3 days! I’m mixing the crystals twice daily and spraying down the plastic cover as somtimes my cats won’t fully step in.
    Is there an alternative litter I can try as I feel I may aswell have just stuck with a regular litter box as this one was meant to be no maintenance?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Do you use a special type of litter with the box? Which make of scoop free box is it?

3. Lauren_95

Lauren_95 PetForums Newbie

It uses crystal cat litter, it’s the Pet Safe Scoopfree Ultra

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The makers advise "it's important to keep the litter box in a well-ventilated dry area. An area with high humidity such as a bathroom or kitchen will cause the crystals to absorb the moisture in the air which reduces the ability to eliminate odour. "

And "If the litter box is stored in a closet or similarly closed off area then the crystals will not be able to activate properly which will also cause them to be less effective."

If the above advice does not apply in your case, the fact your litter box is more smelly than it used to be could be due to one of the cats having looser stools due to a dietary issue perhaps. Or if there is a strong smell of urine in the box it is worth considering that one cat may have a urinary tract infection (as this will cause strong smelling urine).

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Personally I would ditch the scoop free litter box , sounds unhygienic to me . A good clumping litter and the removal of pee clumps/ poo as soon as possible , litter changed every 4/6 weeks .....Cheap , easy and hardly what I would call high maintenance :)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice