Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Schutzhund and positive training methods?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mufti, May 10, 2010.

1. mufti

mufti PetForums Junior

Hi All,

Iv'e always been interested in Schutzhund and I want a sport that me and my Rottie can do together that will be fun and challenging for him and me, and also as a working breed give him a "job" to do :)

My only concern or question is as I train him exclusively using positive training methods is it still possible to train the sport of Schutzhund this way? or will most clubs use a more corrections based training method?

2. leashedForLife

hey, mufti! :--)
    most clubs are still mired in the 1930s and 40s style of harsh correctives; some (sadly) advanced to 1960s correction TOOLS -
    shock-collars - with 2000-era controls: they are digital. :rolleyes: this is not IMO an improvement, or much of a change -
    they are still using a harsh-aversive, it involves a remote-control not a nightstick, hanging the dog, severe prong-jerks,
    but its the same mutton dressed as lamb that it ever has been. :thumbdown:

Yes, U can train with pos-R -
    remember Positive-Punishment is still *positive* - but its hard to find many pos-R instructors in bite-sports.
    there are more pos-R bite-sports handlers than instructors, by a long shot - but they exist.
    finding them is the hard part.

there are also Hybrids - watch out for those. they pull handlers + dogs in by *teaching* using pos-R, then when PROOFING
    comes along, they suddenly announce that corrections are mandatory, and the dog will never be solid without them. :thumbdown:
    A - this is Bullsh*t-101
    B - if the dog is really well-taught, there is not that much proofing involved; but it can still easily be pos-R/neg-P.
    taking away the dogs opp to bite is a simple + strong aversive consequence - it should not be over-used.

STING-operations, set up to *make a dog fail*, are neither training nor proofing - in my eyes, they are abuse -
    abuse of the dogs trust, injury to the human-animal bond, and Machiavellian in their design.
    designing a test so that the dog Will! fail is gratuitious stoopidity, not training.

* steve white * is a Master-trainer and former-cop in the USA who trains bite-work using pos-R/limited neg-P.
    at least 4 or 5 dogs now in the top-5 Schutzhund world-wide, were exclusively pos-R/neg-P trained and finished
    (IOW they did not teach with pos-R then proof with pos-P/neg-R).

the Levels training program and on-line support group (on Yahoo Groups - traininglevels is the name of the Y!-group)
    has several? many? handlers who are self-training in bite-work with pos-R -
    theres a LOCATOR on the Yahoo-group that lets U find local-folks who are training thru Levels,
    but its an opt-in function - not everyone puts their info up.

see dragonflyllama.com for more info on Levels-training: book (free, on-line), support group, U-Tube page,
    and an on-line log for tracking progress.

since i am across the pond, i don;t have any names of pos-R instructors -
    perhaps *tripod or *carolineH, or other trainers
    there will have some leads to offer?
    cheers,
    --- terry

3. Corinthian

Corinthian PetForums Member

Yes, you can (and I have) trained Schutzhund and French Ring using positive methods. I clicked my dogs into titles without any difficulty.

While AFAIK there are no Clicker Schutzhund books (maybe I should write one?) or DVD, the closest thing you can get is Ivan Balavanov's DVDs. If you can ignore some of the P+, which, if you have a good dog is not necessary.

The Tracking was a combination of Clicker, Steve White's SIAB / HITT and Dildei Schutzhund tracking DVD. Though to tell you the truth, but the time I got around to White and Dildei, clicker had taken care of the foundation.

4. mufti

mufti PetForums Junior

Thank's guys I had a feeling most club's would not be using positive-r training :(

I don't feel confident teaching via book's or dvd's as im a novice to the sport so a handler seems like the best option. So yes please if anyone knows of a good one in or not too far from the London area I would be most grateful :D

5. leashedForLife

welcome back, cory! :--)

here is a low-key specimen of the *hybrid approach* -
    Schutzhund Clicker Training | High Drive Puppy Foundation | German Shepherd Dog Training

there are a slew of trainers + clubs who are far-more militant in their support of punishment AKA *corrections* -
    corrections is generally PC-speak for an aversive used as punishment
    (punishment = a consequence that reduces the prior behavior).

leerburg.com was up until the last 18-MO, an entirely-toxic website IMO - highly punitive, proselytizing punishment,
    defending severe tools, etc - now he has discovered pos-R for initial teaching, but still embraces harsh correction,
    and even dominance / pack-theory attitude-adjustments - pinning, etc.
    so this is a highly-varied pastiche, and not IMO a safe place for the novice to wander around -
    theres a lot of rationalization + justification.

caveat emptor,
    --- terry

6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Ed Frawley using positive reinforement. Got to see that

7. leashedForLife

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice