Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

school banning sun cream

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybaker, Jun 29, 2010.

?

should schools allow suncream

Poll closed Jun 30, 2010.
  1. yes

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

what do you think,, I wonder what there reasons for it was,, I mean years 2s are more than able to wack on some cream, yes reception year iffy and some of year 1s but there on up should be no probs.

so what are your thoughts on it.

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

wow they couldnt do that here with our heat, cant the kids use roll on sunscreen at least ?

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Our school requests that you provide sucream for your child but they arent allowed to put it on for them, even for my son who is disabled and cant manage it himself. I have drummed it into my kids how important suncream is so I hope they use it.

4. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

is it not to do with alergic reactions.

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Schools and nurserys in my area have been banned from apying suncream for almost 10 years. It's a child protection policy to safe guard the teachers and staff from abuse claims as ridiculous as it sounds. We had to get parental consent in writting to apply suncream on my babies in nursery.

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

The children can apply it but the staff arnt allowed to

7. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Yes Kendal it's also a safe guard from the wrong child getting seine elses cream on and an alergic reaction taking place-I remember trying to find each childs bottles of suncream and it took almost 20 mins just to cream up 15 children as you have to log all creams applied and someone sign off each child receiving their own cream!!

8. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

at my kids school the teachers aren't allowed but the kids are,, they honestly don't have time to cream up 30 kids ..

but this school have given no reason i has just said no,, but with this heat not sure its the way to go really really.

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I think it's madness.

My son is 6 and has severe delays. He wouldn't even know to get dressed in the morning unless someone told him.

They refuse to apply it but say he can do it himself, well we tried that one and the first day he forgot and got burnt :(

The second day I asked the staff to remind him and he applied the WHOLE bottle of suncream to his hair and face meaning that he then had teachers washing it out of his eyes and phoning me worried about how much he has i jested.

Now I put it on him in the morning and go into school at lunchtime and put more on.

I don't understand why they can't just watch him and remind him if they can't physically apply.

Schools have a duty of care and in my opinion that duty of care means not alowing them to burn in the sun.

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

You can buy a suncream that lasts all day well for 6 hours anyway Piz Buin® unfortunately it only goes up to factor 30 but at least its better than having non on them and you can apply it before they go to school in the morning and they are relatively safe till you collect them.

11. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

About time they did away with this new labour claptrap about not touching kids it's bloody ridiculous.
    Apart from the suncream thing...not being able to cuddle a kid that's hurt or apply plasters and the like....Ridiculous.
    It's a wonder they are allowed to have a haircut...stupid, stupid' regulations installed by paranoid do gooders who insinuate that teachers are all perverts.

Idiots.

12. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Soltan do one too. This is spf 50

Soltan once childrens

This one is great. Buy one get one free in store too :thumbup:

thedogsmother likes this.
  13. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

The prob with apying a plaster if they don't clean it properly and apply plaster germs are trapped leading to risk of infection. If they apply the plaster and they are allergic again by just sticking a plaster on they can cause more harm then the original scrape.

14. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I don't recall any problems when I was at school over 50 years ago...why do you reckon that is? The school secretary was our nurse...and as she had four kids of her own I figure the powers that be reckoned she knew how to apply a plaster to a cut.

15. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

I think it should be allowed but each child has to bring their own and apply it themselves but application of younger or disabled children should be supervised.

Whats better, a slight allergic reaction (a bad allergic reaction I expect is inredibly rare) or sunburn so bad they blister? Sunburn that could cause much, much worse problems in the future.

16. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

IMO people in care situations (teachers etc) are being protected by legislation to prevent them being sued. I lay the blame at the door of people blaming anyone they can and making money from peoples mistakes.

Yes it's infuriating believe me-If a client of mine knocks themself and I arrive and they need it covering I'm legally NOT allowed to touch it! I've got to ring for the nurse to come out and dress it no matter how frustrating that is. BUT if I apply the wrong dressing (there are many dif types for each wound ) I would be suspended or lose my job. I could even be done for abuse that's how scary being in a position of care is.

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Slightly off topic but a friend of mine who's a nurse stopped at a car accident could tell it was serious so just stopped to see if there was anything she could do she had to apply c.p.r to the driver and was sued because his rib was broke when he got to hospital. No mention of her saving his life

18. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

it`s ridiculous!!! i fought with my daughter`s old nursery over this and in the end one of the women said she`d apply it so long as i gave written writing which i was more than happy to do. they themselves said it was stupid as if a child in their care got burnt they could then have a law suit over neglect.

my daughter`s idiot teachers actually asked me to provide sun cream for her on friday as they were going to the beach. i done so and warned them that she burns very easy but she came back home looking like a lobster and in agony. the schools excuse.....there was so many teachers there that she must have been overlooked when they were applying the cream to them :eek:

i don`t think it should be banned but i think it`s a good idea to get written consent to apply it. asking kids to apply it themselves is a bit ridiculous, my daughter`s 6 and she`d end up missing half of her body out

19. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I will look for those long lasting suncreams, thanks!

The problem is that Brandon is ginger and has SUCH pale skin so he burns quickly and badly.

Plus he likes to spend as much time as possible playing nicely (running rings round his teachers) outside and refuses to wear a hat.

This world has gone mad with the things that people sue for these days!

20. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

We've been warned of similar, any injuries sustains through trying to preserve a life we are accountable for!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice