Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

scent marking. A new thought?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by andythebus, Oct 27, 2012.

1. andythebus

andythebus PetForums Junior

Just occured to me when walking the dog.
    I was always under the impretion that dogs left their scent for other dogs to enjoy as a way of marking territory. It never occured to me until now that dog's seem to scent mark for their own use too!!
    Kenny loves to chase any thing that moves and when he cannot catch the duck or squirrel he leaves a scent for himself as a way of telling himself later that there maybe some food in that area. Very Clever Kenny.
    He does this alot when he's fed up with the stick he's been playing with. He drops it, then marks where he left it.
    Anyone else noticed this?:confused:

#1 andythebus, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can never know what their motivations are. Rather than marking near where he's dropped the stick to remind himself it's his stick, he could equally well be marking to tell other dogs it's his, and to leave it alone. Or just to tell other dogs he came along that way. I don't see it as marking territory anyway, domestic dogs aren't territorial outside their own home/garden the way wolves and other wild dogs are, or there would be carnage in the park.

3. andythebus

hmm. He seems to scent at the end of an action. Like me calling him away from something he is intrested in. Or the dropping of his stick to do something else.Or like is said in the opening thread, when he has been barking at water fowl or chasing a squirrel or rabbit and i've called him to heel. Always takes a quick pee first. It's like a wee (excuse the pun) reminder for himself.

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I am interested in your interpretation of a dog deciding to cock its leg after you have given it an instruction.

My interpretation would be entirely different........................ ;)

It would be an "up yours". ;)

5. andythebus

:eek: :nono: :rolleyes::
    Its more of an " I'll be there when i'm ready" :pbut he always comes.;) "I'll just come back to this dead pigeon another time".:tongue_smilie:.....................PPSSSSSSSSS aaahh wagwagwag "yes master" :D
    " I'm a good boy":smile:
    Always takes his time when called to heel but he always comes:crazy:
    Very funny though;)

6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Spen often marks where he's been sniffing if I call him away. Chances are he'd have marked it anyway but I'm rushing him :lol: Not so bothered if it's just a "Spen, let's go" but working on him not doing it if it's an actual recall.

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I actually had that happen to me years ago. Was training with an old school guy, choke chain, collar pops etc. We were working on tightening up the heel, and I was to correct the dog for inattention or heeling wide. First pop, he looked at me. Second pop he really looked at me. Third pop he stopped, lifted his leg and peed a stream down my calf. I was wearing jeans and there was this perfect line from my knee to my ankle. I was SO embarrassed!

Needless to say, that was also the beginnings of an epiphany for me as to that particular type of training. He was a special dog - taught me a LOT. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice