Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scent For Six

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Veba, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Just wondered if anyone else had signed up with the Black Friday offer?

I'm not very good at sticking with online courses so might be good to have a buddy or two!

Torin. likes this.
  2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Cad and I, @StormyThai and Thai, and @Sarah H and Puzzle & Nooka are all doing/ have done S46! The other 2 have finished it and are doing it again, I'm very slowly on my first run through.

If I were you I'd post in the WDSA group to find an accountability buddy (or small group) who's at the same sort of place/ doing similar exercises as you are. It's much more positive that way, as you don't feel confused/ mopey that you're not making progress, or that the stuff you're working on is too different. I have two accountability groups, one for Kong and catnip, and one more recently set up one of people who've got stuck with the extra faff of gun oil.

It's such an amazing course :D I was doing scentwork with a local trainer before signing up to it and it's the first time I've ever thought Cad was stupid (trainer turned out to only have experience with spanners and collies). With S46 I end up amazing at how clever Cad is practically every session.

LittleMow and Sarah H like this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

What @Torin. said :D

I was writing out a long post pretty much saying the same but Torin got there first :Hilarious

Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

ahaha me too!

Definitely find an accountability buddy who is going at the same sort of pace as you. I've kind of come to a halt again, but it's something I really enjoy and am totally hoping to get some scent classes going next year.

Torin. and StormyThai like this.
  5. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thank you all for your replies. @Torin. I think it was your reply to a previous thread of mine that made me look in to it. It was just too much money to spend on something I might not stick to so I was glad to see the deal.

He's great with gun oil and cloves so hopefully will pick up new scents. He's so good at scent work that I feel he's losing out now we don't get to Scentwork UK.

I had a look at the first video last night and will have to get my shopping order in. I hope it's not going to be too high level for me. I'm not a very good trainer!

Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

No you will be fine! I would practice throwing treats at a coin though! Aiming and timing are 100% the hardest bit :Hilarious

Veba, StormyThai and Torin. like this.
  7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

You mostly just need a keenness to get going and do the stuff at the start - after that you'll find that your training skills shoot up as you progress through the course :D

I need to do more chucking treats at a target practice this week. Turns out being able to do it from nearby isn't the same as being able to do it from 3m away...

Veba likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

So is this course for humans or dogs! Where on earth does gun oil come into it too. If you have to be able to throw accurately it would not be for me. I must be the only person who, in the obedience ring, has managed to throw a dumbell behind me. Served me right I was told to send my dog who luckily was not as stupid as me and did a perfect retrieve and a straight present. I have also just missed hitting a judge and once when the article had to be thrown accurately, after about the 4th attempt the judge gave me up as a bad job and let the steward tell me to send my dog.

9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Both? It's an intensive (6 months, but you can go slower as you have access to the course materials and resources for life) and expansive (the science and training goes incredibly deeply) scentwork course. It's teaching you up to a standard where you could teach scentwork to others regardless of the other people's skill level or dog breed. You do the course with a dog (some people do it with multiple dogs if they have them) - there's theory and practical aspects each week.

The target practice is because for some of the exercises you're rewarding the dog at source, as opposed to marking and rewarding somewhere else. And the closer you can get to the source, the easier it is for the dog. It doesn't have to be perfect by any stretch, but practicing on your own for a bit is a good way to improve your aim. I've managed to throw objects accidentally behind me too (never in a judged competition!) and frequently throw bits of food onto Cad's head :D

Veba, LittleMow, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Oops, missed a Q. Napier gun oil is one of the scents you're teaching your dog to search for/ indicate to you on. There are two passive indication scents (Kong and Napier gun oil) and one active indication (retrieve) scent (Kong catnip). You start with passive indication on Kong, then add in retrieves of things that smell of catnip, and then add in passive indication on gun oil. Kong is your easy and/or practice scent (other courses use teabags, spices etc. as the training scent) so that you make sure you know what you're doing before you get to the gun oil. So you make your mistakes and such on something that doesn't matter, and you always have an easy option you can have stashed in a pocket/ bag/ car for when you want to easily just do a search exercise somewhere.

Whereas a lot of organisations use Napier Gun Oil as a competition scent; you don't want that smell to be your first experience of teaching a passive indication (or your dog's first experience of indicating) as there's bound to be mistakes. And it's much easier to teach something correct (esp for competition!) from the start than have to go back and correct mistakes later. Sort of like I guess teaching heelwork on one side, getting it polished, and then moving it onto the other side too? Or practice dummies for gundog work vs teaching on real game?

Veba and Blitz like this.
  11. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Napier gun oil is the scent used in WSDA and other competitions for the passive search...technically you can use whatever scent you wish for either active or passive searches.
    I think other groups may use cloves or similar :)

As for the aiming...yeah it helps to get things on point, and practicing the mechanics without a dog really helps but as you can see, even after a year my aim is well off, but my dog learnt the concept :) I really think that teaching the indication separately really helps those of us that can't aim to save our lives
    123773983_10158816851066163_2417212548092059428_o.jpg

Veba, LittleMow, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice