Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Scatter feeding & rotting food

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Almond, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Almond

Almond PetForums Newbie

Hello! I am doing research on whether or not to scatter feed my gerbils food or feed them in a bowl. I know scatter feeding is more stimulating for the little ones, but doesn't that cause rotting food problems when they want to hide it away in their tunnels? Does their dry food rot that easily, or is it just the fresh stuff you have to worry about?

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Moisture is needed for food to rot. So that puts fresh food at greater risk. Dry food will only rot in a standard set-up if you are incredibly overdue with the basic care of cleanouts to the degree that all the substrate is damp. If you're looking after them well there's no risk :)

I usually scatter feed dry food, and put fresh food in a heap. And ideally work out asap what sort of amount of fresh food will be eaten straight away rather than cached at all.

Tiggers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice