UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's finally time to bond Millie with my already bonded pair.. :eek: And I'm petrified in case it doesn't go to plan!

I'm starting tomorrow morning, or maybe tonight.. And any tips would be greatly appreciated please

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
the best thing is not to worry, i bonded my two pairs about 2 weeks ago, i cant tell you how nervous i was. i thought it was all going to go completely wrong but it went really well :)

G

·
It's best to start in the morning when bonding, it then gives you all day to watch the bond and as they are more active in the evening it can cause problems.

Try not to stress because your stress will be transferred.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the best thing is not to worry, i bonded my two pairs about 2 weeks ago, i cant tell you how nervous i was. i thought it was all going to go completely wrong but it went really well :)
Thanks, it's reassuring to hear someone say it went well! :)

It's best to start in the morning when bonding, it then gives you all day to watch the bond and as they are more active in the evening it can cause problems.

Try not to stress because your stress will be transferred.
Thanks, I might have to go buy some calming tablets I'm that nervous.. :blushing: Starting in the morning sounds like a plan like

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Yep, start in the morning, follow the plan, keep calm and take it slowly :)
Thats it really lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hasn't gone well.. Split them up because there was a lot of thumping, biting and chasing :( I don't know what to do.. :(

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Put them back together, in a smaller space if possible, thumping, chasing and biting are all part of it. Unless there is a full on "tazmanian devil" fight, they need to work it out themselves :) I know its hard to see them like it.
With each thump, chase or bite, give them a spray with a water bottle, and put a gloved hand in to stop a chase if that doesnt work.
Is it the 2 girls that are being a problem or all 3?

G

·
Put them back together, in a smaller space if possible, thumping, chasing and biting are all part of it. Unless there is a full on "tazmanian devil" fight, they need to work it out themselves :) I know its hard to see them like it.
With each thump, chase or bite, give them a spray with a water bottle, and put a gloved hand in to stop a chase if that doesnt work.
Yeah that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it's awful because I'm scared in case one gets seriously hurt..
It's the two girls, I don't think Millie likes Scamp because Millie is doing all the thumping whenever Scamp goes near her.. and I think Scamp gets jealous when Dylan grooms Millie.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I know it's awful because I'm scared in case one gets seriously hurt..
It's the two girls, I don't think Millie likes Scamp because Millie is doing all the thumping whenever Scamp goes near her.. and I think Scamp gets jealous when Dylan grooms Millie.. :rolleyes:
OK, so, can you fit both girls in a cat carrier? If you can, pop just those two in the carrier for a while, they then can't chase or really even thump. Once they are calm, you can pop them back into a small space 2ft x 3ft maximum, let them settle again, and then put in Dylan.
They are fighting over who gets the boy at the moment by the sounds of it.

Do you drive? If you do, I would suggest taking them all out in the car for half hour.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so, can you fit both girls in a cat carrier? If you can, pop just those two in the carrier for a while, they then can't chase or really even thump. Once they are calm, you can pop them back into a small space 2ft x 3ft maximum, let them settle again, and then put in Dylan.
They are fighting over who gets the boy at the moment by the sounds of it.

Do you drive? If you do, I would suggest taking them all out in the car for half hour.
Ok I'll do the cat carrier thing with the two girls.. Would you suggest I take them all for a drive after I've added Dylan or is the drive thing something to try if the cat carrier doesn't work? Thank you! Sorry if I'm sounding stupid..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Currently have both girlies in a cat carrier.. Been in for about 20 minutes and haven't heard a peep from them! Think their still too scared to move yet like..

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Hows it going? Are all 3 together now?
Sorry I couldnt reply yesterday, I had to go off to work lol.

If you want, if you are having any problems still, hopefully not, I can give you my mobile number to text if you need advice :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's actually gone really well by adding Dylan into the group last! There's still been some thumping by Millie but most of the time they just snuggle together :D
They've been in a normal cat carrier, a dog carrier and now their in a 2foot by 2foot square.. However, whenever I expand the space scamp starts chasing Millie so I'm fearing I'll never get them into a bigger space..

I've just had Lino put down in the bunny room and bought a new dog crate so at least everything will be nice and new when they eventually get in there.. Lol

And now a picture of the trio :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Thats great news, did you do a car ride in the end?
I find that sorting out the 2 trouble makers first with a trio often works best. I would always sort 2 girls out first anyway, most boys just dont have the same attitude lol

Increase the space as gradually as you can, by 6 inches if needs be, you will get there :)
If you have something about 4ft x 3ft (or a 4ft dog crate for example) to work up into, then if you can, you could pop that into the rabbit room (after a quiet day) and then make it a bit bigger in there, so its testing how they will be in "their" room before you let them loose :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No didn't do the car ride, thought seen as how it was going so well I'd just stick with it :)
Yeah I have 3 dog crates and I never even thought of using them.. Haha thank you! Now I'm just not looking forward to an uncomfy night sleeping on the couch lol

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
The things we do hey :p

Glad its going smoothly now, hopefully all of the terratorial "he's mine" will be over with :)

*Heidi*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.