Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared Stray Hanging Around

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jackie C, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

For the past week, there has been a lovely little young-looking B&W cat hanging around. Poor thing has been hanging around late at night and early morning. He's been outside in all weathers, huddling next to the front door to avoid the rain. He's extremely nervous, I can't approach him at all without him running off. He doesn't hiss or anything, he's just so timid. To the point I wouldn't be surprised if he was feral, and I don't know if he's male or female. I feel so sorry for the poor boy as he just sits on the doorstep, and if I open the door he runs off a few feet and just looks up at us, and looks very sad. It's as if he wants to come in, but is too scared.

We started leaving food out for him, and he eats it. I was wanting to be able to get near him to put a paper collar on, and leave a note to see if he has a home, or taking him to the vets to see if he's chipped. Trouble is, I can't get near him! Even if I did, I know I couldn't really use Holly's (our cats) basket, as I don't want to get his smell in it.
    I spoke to someone in the street who I know has a couple of cats, and he isn't her cat, but he does hang around there as well. She thinks he might belong to someone who has moved house.

We can't take this cat in, sadly. I'd love to, but we have Holly, and due to allergies, we only just manage with the one cat. Plus, we've only had Holly for less than 3 months, so she's still settling in, and it wouldn't be fair on her. She tolerates him in the garden, though - just.

We've looked into getting him a little kennel next week, so at least he can get out the rain if he needs it. But I can't think of anything else to do. Any advice?

Kennel: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13JOQFCM3E9NS

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You may be able to borrow a humane trap from your vet, or from a local Rescue. Most cats will go into one of those if there is a nice tasty dish of food inside. Once he is in the trap you can take him (in the trap) to the vet to get him checked for a microchip and to see if he has been neutered. If he is not chipped you could put a paper collar on him (whilst you have him at the vets) with your phone number on asking anyone who is feeding him to call you. There may be someone who might be willing to take him in (if he has been abandoned I mean).

It could be if he is not neutered he has wandered far from home looking for a female to mate with, has got lost and can't find his way home. The un-neutered males are the ones who most commonly end up as strays and being taken in by Rescues. None of them are ever chipped (if they aren't neutered) so it is rare for us to be able to reunite them with their owners :(

Emmasian, Jackie C and leashedForLife like this.
  3. leashedForLife

I'd also vote for a live-trap - get him to a vet to be scanned, or to a local shelter so that they can hold him for reclaiming by an owner, or get her / him socialized & find a home to take this poor mite in.
    Leaving the cat on the streets, even with a "kennel' to get out of the weather, is leaving her or him to live at the whims of weather, traffic, wildlife, & the many dangers of injury & illness.
    That kitty needs a home - if they already HAVE an owner, the owner needs to be found & re-united with their pet. If there's no owner, then they need attention, vet exams, socialization, & an adopter.

chillminx and Jackie C like this.
  4. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Thanks, good idea about the humane trap. :)
    He's not been around this evening, so I am hoping he's home. Although I don't know if he's a boy or not, it would make sense if he was, as the woman up the road with the cats said he went into her house and scent marked.
    We've decided if he hangs around a lot over the weekend, we're going to ring the vets.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I know. :( I wish I could provide one.

6. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Jackie C:

... Although I don't know if he's a boy or not, it would make sense if he was, as the woman up the road with the cats said he went into her house and scent marked.
    /QUOTE
    Errmmm - :oops: Both sexes in cats can scent-mark, even desexed cats of both genders can spray urine. It's just that cats who have been spayed or neutered SPRAY LESS & tend to do it mostly outdoors, rather than indoors. Desexed cats generally spray only to over-mark an intruder's urine [or stool], in their garden / yard.
    Some desexed cats will spray indoors in reaction to an intruder they see outside - esp'ly if they see that intruder spray on what the cat inside thinks of as "their turf". Thankfully, this doesn't happen every time a cat inside their own home, sees another cat wander thru "their" garden / yard.

7. leashedForLife

QUOTE, Jackie C:

I know. :( I wish I could provide [a home].

/QUOTE
    U don't need to - just borrow a trap, bait it, catch the cat, & take the trap, cat & all, to a shelter, rescue, or vet. :)

8. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Your local rescue may be able to loan you one if you ask them.

leashedForLife likes this.
  9. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I borrowed a trap from the local council when I did a TNR scheme with a band of ferals in rural Cheshire. Could be worth an ask so long as you promise to give it back.

10. leashedForLife

in the U-S, local municipal shelters often loan live-traps for cat capture - many require a driver's license or other I-D, & in VA, the 7-cities shelters asked for a $25 deposit [which U got back when the trap was returned - they just don't want the traps to evaporate, they're not cheap to replace].

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I have done this with ferals before. Cats protection have been happy to lend a trap. Bait with something smelly and tasty that cannot be hooked through the holes like mashed up sardine. Check the trap regularly. Once caught cover the trap with a blanket. If you catch puss cat but cannot take to the vet for a while, place the trap somewhere quiet like a garage or shed or spare room, cover with a blanket.

If you think you will need to leave the cat overnight on the trap before the vet visit, put an empty heavy no tip-able bowl on the trap before you set it which you can later pour water into (eg via a watering can ).

If the cat is timid it may well still have an owner but not be confident with humans it doesn't know so it may well be worth popping a note through the doors of local houses explaining that you are trying to trace the owner.

My well loved cuddly boy would stay well back from unknown humans but is happy and nosy enough to sit and hang out near neighbours houses if he is in the mood. He is an ex feral kitten and still has feral looking behaviours when not on home turf.

12. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Yeah, I know they do.

Thanks for the ideas and tips. He's not been around last night or this morning, so I am hoping he's found his way home xx :):D Maybe he was just a cheeky opportunist.

Emmasian and moggie14 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice