Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

:( scared of the outcome for my rat..

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Cherene, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Cherene

Cherene PetForums Junior

Just found a lump on my rats neck.. She is over 1 yr old and it could be cancer..
    I read that there are 2 types of tumor things, 1 the vet can cut off and the other is painfull and cant be cut off... and may need to be put down :(

I hope its not cancer.. but yh,.. Im pretty sad...
    Taking her vet tomorrow and see what they say...

Im sooooo attatched to my rats and losing her will be the worst thing eva :(

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

rats get tumours, it's what they do. I recently adopted a rat who had a tumour under her front leg and she lived till nearly 3, only died a few weeks ago. I would advise against having it removed as the rat is more likely to die from anaesthetic than the tumour itself unless it's cancerous.

Don't worry, pretty much everyone who had kept rats has been through this :) you arenlt alone *hugs*

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I hope the tumors turn out to be benign. Good luck!

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

((((hugs)))) hope everything goes ok xxx

5. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Rats can live for quite a while with lumps/tumours. Its often better to let the rat live out its days with the lump rather than put it under the stress of an operation to remove it. Contact your vet and see what they suggest. It could just be an abscess.

6. lisa2210

lisa2210 PetForums Member

Take your vet's advice. I had a girl with a huge lump, and she was about a year old, she had the lump removed. It was very scary when she came home, as it does take quite a while for the anaesthetic to get out of the system. HOWEVER - she did recover, the lump did not return, and she had a lovely long life. Rats can live with lumps - it depends where they are whether they are dangerous or not. Don't assume an operation will be bad news.

All the best - and keep us all informed.

7. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

a few of my rats have had benign tumours, and one had cancer.. you can usuall tell it's cancer by the rate of growth.. cancers will grow visibly day by day, benign tumours will grow very very slowly over months and possibly years.

with all my benign lumps i've only bothered to have one removed as it was pea sized.. Lenin was 1.5 y/o and had no problems at all.. she took a right shine to the vet who did the operation lol.. however she got 2 more lumps ~2 months after the operation.. so in my mind it's never worth paying for. She lived to about 3.5 years ol and her lumps grew soo slowly she wasn't hampered by them until after her 3rd birthday, by that time they were only beginning to get in her way. Her sister (same parents separate litter) Stalin had to be put down due to her lump being the size of 3/4 of a tennis ball and being unable to move around the cage anymore due to the weight. She was in complete health otherwise but i could see her getting distressed by the effort to move she was about 3.6 y/o :D

Crumpet was our unluckly rattie, she got a malignant tumour in tissue near her bits, and had trouble peeing, it grew to the size of a golf ball in ONE WEEK! she had been lethargic an less bitey and more cuddly than usual and for her that was a sure sign she was ill.

Your rats will always find a way to tell you how they feel about what's wrong with them, watch their behaviour and pay attention to what they will an won't allow from you and their cage mates when they're well.. it gives you a good insight to how ill they are.

In all cases with my rats the others have rallied round to make sure the afflicted rat is clean (even ohka who had a stinking discharging abcess!! eww), we had to separate her in a carry cage but put her in that in the big cage so she wasn't lonely lol), and has food and company and is warm/ comfy enough.. we saw on more than one occasion the younger rats taking bedding up to crumpet (who was on her favourite shelf) so that she was comfy and warm.. then sleeping with her.. very rarely was she alone... it was very cute.. crumpy-lumpy-bum, as she became known, was put down after 2 weeks of the first appearance of the lump.

It's sad to lose them but just think how nice a time they've had living with you and all the stupid things you do for them to make sure they're having fun and having a great life :D Especially if they are ones you've rescued :D

I hope yours just has a benign tumour :D

8. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I hope everything goes well at the vets.

9. Cherene

Cherene PetForums Junior

** Update **

Took her to the vet today and she will be having it removed on monday.
    He said she should be totally fine having this removed, my other rat has also been under anesthetic before and she was active and running around the afternoon i got her. so im confident my fudgy will be ok.

He doesnt want to keep the lump there and you can more of less grab the lump in your fingers and get right around it and he said this is a good sign because we no its not stuck to her body.
    This means it will be much easier to remove ..
    I know that she could get another one , but hopefully she wont.
    I wont put her under the stress of another operation - :D
    Thanx for everyone comments...! :D so nicce :p

10. I'm so sorry to hear this xx
    At least its nothing bad! xxxxx

11. lisa2210

I think that is great news. Fingers crossed for a good outcome after the operation. As I say, my ratty took a little while to recover - she slept for the best part of two days. We kept her apart from her sisters, but close enough to know that they were there, and kept her watered and warm, and she came through it. Good luck!

12. hilary bradshaw

hilary bradshaw PetForums Member

sorry, but I have to disagree with that, I believe if its operable get it removed, yes they can live wioth benign tumors but they tend to grow large and ofted abscesses can develop on them.

good luck for Monday. My Jason is having one removed from his neck on tuesday.

13. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Yes but in the process of having them removed there's

a) A high risk of an animal that small not being able to survive the anaethetic. All of the rats I've had operated on have just never woken up

b) The risk of the shock afterwards killing them. If they survive the anaesthetic, the shock can still kill them.

Plus rats don't seem to live long after having tumours removed, or indeed they just grow 2 or 3 back instead.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

14. hilary bradshaw

hilary bradshaw PetForums Member

fortunately this has not been my experience, I have kept rats for 12 years and had many needing tumors removed and ''touch wood''(Jason is going under the knife tomorrow) have never lost one on an operating table, but, I do know this can happen.

It sounds as if your rat has a benign tumor (the vet can put his fingers all the way round it) and hopfully this will not return.
    the majority of my rats have lived a full natural life after lump removal and hopefully yours will be the same.

the op should be done by now , please let us know how things are,

best wishes.....:D

15. Cherene

Cherene PetForums Junior

Update *

The lump cannot be removed at the moment .
    Fudge's breathing wasnt good and she didnt look right Before they were gonna put her to sleep so he said its not worth the risk, she could of died if they operated on her .
    The Lump has moved onto her chest so she might be a lil coughing rat soon ..
    I just go to keep an eye on her, She seems to be eating , drinking and running around as usual.. Hopefully it moves again and maybe we can sort this problem out. If it gets bigger, the vet gonna have a look at her again.. but yes thats the news..

Just to comment the putting rats to sleep and they could die etc,
    My other rat has been put to sleep before and she was absolutly fine and runnnning around as soon as i picked her up from vet. It not always the case they die.. Just some are unlucky.

16. lisa2210

I am sorry that the operation could not take place today - hopefully the lump will move again and be removed.

\re the ongoing debate about rats and operations - it is just like people; some can cope with ops and some can't, and you can't tell until it is too late. Personally, if a lump is impacting on a rat, I think it is worth the risk of the operation as the chance of an improvement outweighs the risk of slightly bringing forward a rat's demise. BUT - that is only my opinion; everyone is entitled to their own view, and we all have different experiences on which we base our opinions - all equally valid. I think we all want to think we make the best decision we can for our babies based on the information we have - and if that is what we do, it is never wrong, whatever the outcome.

Hope the breathing improves for your ratty, let us know as always.

17. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

You will know what is right for your pet. I'm glad the vet did the right thing and didn't operate on your pet as it obviously isn't up to it at the moment.

Yes there are risks with any operation but these are tiny creatures and the methods we use as humans to resuscitate other humans and larger animals cannot be used on these tinies.

I hope your pets health will improve and good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice