Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared of one particular bit of road

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 6, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

When we walk Ollie, we can walk to our house in two different directions. In one particular direction, he will not walk. He tries to pull you to the other side of the road to walk in the other direction to the house, and if I stop him doing that, he simply won't move forward. There's one particular house, there's a rottie that isn't friendly with dogs, he will bark and scratch at the window of its house when you walk past with Ollie. I think Ollie's been frightened a few times by it. He used to just walk really slowly up to the house, and then almost run once he had got past the house. Now he won't even enter the road.

I trust my dog's instincts more than my own, so if Ollie dislikes something or refuses to do something, I realise there is a serious reason for this, so I let him take me the other direction. Once we are faced away from the house, he pulls ahead and walks purposefully. I don't mind avoiding this house but it shows how a few incidents can really scare a dog enough for them to completely avoid it.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A former work colleague of mine was hit by a car that mounted the pavement and she was seriously injured. Her dog was with her at the time, but was not hurt himself. Five years later, he still won't walk down that stretch of road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice