Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared Golden Retriever

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Miley is 18 months old and terrified of everything.

We have had her since she was 9 weeks old and has always been scared but she is getting worse.

She will not go on the lead, as soon as its on she freezes, she is scared of the hoover, washing machine etc.

She was born in the home and she lived in the kitchen. When she was 12 weeks old we took her for her microchip and a noisy van back fired and really scared her so she is also scared of cars and traffic.

We have been to see behaviourists and they say they cant see anything wrong with her. They said to slowly encourage her out of the house with Chicken. we have done this and she is happy to run around outside but only off the lead. We have put the lead on her in doors and let her walk around with it on like they said, then slowly take her outside but she freezes.

They said to use a D.A.P diffuser, that made no difference.

I just dont know what else to do. When people come in the house she hides for abot 10 minutes but then she starts getting closer to them and learns they are ok so comes out of her shell.

Any ideas on what else i can do for Miley??

2. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

hi sounds like a bit of a nightmare, does that mean Miley doesn't get walked if she doesn't like the lead?

our 18mnth old is a bit of a scaredy dog but not that extreme, sounds like you've tried lots of things!

the key thing we do is try not to comfort the behaviour if there is genually nothing that can harm him we just totally ignore any negative behaviour (cowering, barking, crying).

sorry not much more to offer just introduce as many new experiences you can this made our pup a bit more iquisitive rather than scared.

good luck:smilewinkgrin:

3. Socialization is a very important phase in a dogs life! the periods between the age of 8 - 12 weeks being perhaps the most important! Did you take her out before she reached 12 weeks?
    DT

4. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.
    In a way, I know how it feels, Bailey my 12 month old Lab can be quite nervous and scared, but not as bad as what you're going through. At first I got really frustrated and tried everything that everyone advised as he was becoming scared whilst out on a walk. I've now found a solution to it and slowly making progress.

The key to it being I have to be firm with him, not so much that I scare him, but I can't comfort him either, otherwise he'll think it's ok to be scared.
    x

5. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

gradually introduce your pet to new things and eventually it will get the hang of it. make it as fun as possible so she will enjoy the activity.

6. rona

rona Guest

Have you tried just sitting in parks with the lead attached and just watch the world go by so that he can have time to think about what he is seeing?

7. Spaniel mad

Because she wont go on the lead she gets taken round the block. Shes happy to go off the lead so gets a good run twice a day

8. Spaniel mad

She was taken out from day 1 after we got her. we carried her round like we did all the others so she would get used to all kinds of things

The behaviourists thinks it was the van back firing that really done it and she remembers that.

9. Spaniel mad

Cant get her to the park, She wont go in the car. have let her run around outside and then put her lead on and she just lays there and wont move. I have even walked away hoping she would follow but nope

10. newfie2

newfie2 PetForums Junior

To get used to strange noises you could have a cd with all sorts of different noises going on, washing machine, fire works, revving car engines etc etc. This helped me with one of my shy dogs, i just had it on low in the back ground, and then just gradually turned up the volume. If you have difficulty finding a cd like this on the net, i do have a spare copy. Just let me know. And as for freezing on the lead try to leave the lead on her in the house for as long as possible, make no fuss what so ever, infact ignore her. Hope this helps a little bit. Good Luck :)

11. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

How do you deal with her nervousness? i.e when she displays a nervous behaviour, what do you do? x

12. Spaniel mad

Thank you, i will have a look on the internet x

13. Spaniel mad

The behaviourist said to ignore her, If we make a fuss she thinks she is doing the right thing

14. rona

rona Guest

I have always cuddled my Goldies if they are worried, I just don't make a big thing of it. Contact with me can sometimes alleviate the stress

15. Spaniel mad

I spoke to the breeder about it all a little while ago and she said a few of the pups from the same litter are the same as Miley.

When she is nervous i want to just sit next to her and just stroke her gently so she knows im there but the behaviourist said im rewarding her for being scared

16. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

How long were you reassuring her for before you realised this was not the right thing to do? x

17. Spaniel mad

About a week

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice