Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lnrv, Mar 28, 2011.

1. lnrv

lnrv PetForums Newbie

we got 2 cats from our local RSPCA one at 14 and one at 4, the 14 year old has settled in fantastic but the younger one, she is fine whilst it is just me and my OH in the house, as soon as anyone else comes to the house she darts upstairs and hides under the bed. She wont come out even if one of us goes up and talks to her until the other people have left. Any ideas?

2. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

My cat is very much like this, she is very anti social to anyone but myself and my husband, we just leave her be as she gets very stressed if try to force her out, just revel in the fact that you and your other half are very lucky that your cat holds you in such high esteem that she allows you to be in her presence and pet her.

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Cats are like children & humans - some are quite outgoing & some are very shy.

If you come to visit me, Oscar will be all over you like a rash & just adores anyone who gives him attention. Merson, on the other hand, won't come out from under the bed until you leave. If I bring him down to meet anyone, he is straight back up the stairs the minute I put him down. He won't even talk to the neighbours & they feed him whenever we go away. He is, however, very, very sociable when it is just hubby & I in the house.

I personally would just leave your cats be in this case. Accept that they are different and appreciate that they both want to hang with you when you are alone. :001_smile:

4. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Some cats are naturally like this, my normally confident Lexi will sometimes take a dislike to certain people and run away from them like their a murderer, waiting upstairs till they leave, there is not much you can do to change their personality but the cat may become more secure as they grow older :)

5. lnrv

lnrv PetForums Newbie

thank you for the replies and glad its not just ours thats like it, i don;t know what she has been through before hand, before we got her so i don;t want to push her, shes ok with my niece as well when she comes to stop, just anyone else, i just get worried when we go away, my mum comes to feed them but just worried in case she doesn;t eat much with us not being there, bless her, they are my babies love them to bits :)

6. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

If you go away maybe your mum could pop her food dish in the bedroom if thats where she bolts too so it's closer to her and would stop your other kitty scoffing all the food, but yes fairly normal for some kitties to be scardey cats.

7. lnrv

lnrv PetForums Newbie

my OH doesn;t like them in bedroom when we go away, sometimes she gets herself so worked up shes sick and i if shes sick under bed and no-one finds it for 2 weeks :thumbdown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice