Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared cat help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Shash_128, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Shash_128

Shash_128 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    There’s a stray cat always in my garden, scared at first she would come into my kitchen allowing me to stroke her.

Now a few months later she chills in my bedroom a lot so much so that I’ve got a litter tray and feed her. She comes in the evening and stays the whole night and morning.

She sleeps, I stroke and play with her but as soon as I pick her up to cuddle she gets really scared and stays scared for a while and I feel really bad as her ears go flat.

Is there any way I can make her feel less scared?
    Thank you

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Are you certain she's a stray and not someone's cat. You should get her checked for a microchip if you think she's stray as someone may be missing her. Don't pick her up if this makes her stressed, just take things at her pace and let her come to you then she will relax more.

Soozi, TriTri and sandy-cat like this.
  3. Shash_128

Shash_128 PetForums Newbie

I’ve been meaning to take her to the vets to check if she has a microchip so I can reunite her with her owner if she has one. Need to buy a cat carrier first. Is there any way I can take her there without one?

If I don’t approach her to stroke and play with her she just sleeps all the time.

Thank you for your help.

Soozi likes this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Please just make sure she’s chipped before you do anything else. She might not like being picked up a lot of cats don’t but she should be Vet checked to make sure there is nothing wrong. You can buy a cardboard cat carrier cheaply for now they are strong enough as a temporary measure. I do hope if she hasn’t got a chip that you will keep her.
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Card...iers-including-disposable-floor-/291105958727

sandy-cat likes this.
  5. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

If you have a local cat rescue someone may be able to come out and scan her. Try Cats Protection or Blue Cross perhaps? Please do get this checked though as someone out there may be missing her loads :(

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Many cats that turn up which people think of as strays are actually owned. They may have reasons for hanging about away from home eg kids or other pets or busy households or too many neighbourhood cats and they just like a quiet place to chill.

You shouldn't feed or keep people's cats inside your home unless you are 100% certain that the cat has no owners. Feeding cats mean that they are less likely to return home. The cats may have specific dietary needs due to medical conditions allergies etc or the owner may need to feed on a particular schedule so that the cat returns home and they can give it's regular worming flea prevention and other health checks/medications. By feeding the cat you could be making it ill or prevent it from receiving treatment.

If the cat stays at yours for long periods or you keep it in then they will be frantic with worry. I certain was when my neighbour took in my cat and started feeding it.

I suggest you stop feeding the cat, don't keep it in your house, put a paper collar on with your number asking the owner to call and check for a chip. Also post on your local facebook page and put notes through your neighbours doors including those houses that back on to yours.

Even if the cat isn't micro chipped it may still have a home close by so you should do everything you possibly can to locate the owner.

If the cat turns out to be owned why not visit the local shelter and pick a companion.

Many cats hate being picked up and only like being petted on their terms. Have a look at Jackson galaxy on your tube for tips including his how to stroke a cat.video

Soozi likes this.
  7. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

@Shash_128 you could try borrowing a cat carrier from a cat charity or someone you know who has a cat. Make sure it’s very clean, because the smell of another cat could stress her. She may well have an owner, so ideally you would be better to get her checked out at yours for a microchip. The thought of someone taking my cat to a vet to check for a chip would worry me, incase my cat escaped the box or the vets and got lost. Most vets have had at least one cat escape them over time. Have you tried a paper collar on her with a written message on it, asking if the cat has an owner, to telephone you? That’s what cat charities advise.

Soozi likes this.
  8. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

the vet may be prepared to lend you a carrier so that you can take her in to be checked for a microchip.

TriTri likes this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Shash_128
    Hi,
    I think as @sandy-cat said, asking if a rescue can come down and scan her should be easier if they will do it.
    If no chip, do as was suggested and put a paper collar on with your details asking to be contacted if she is owned.
    If no replies or chip, then I would consider her a stray and probably abandoned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice