Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared cat during day....confident at night!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by wtfmoe, Jan 25, 2020.

1. wtfmoe

wtfmoe PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    Im new here as im seeking help with my cat's behavior

So, i had this 12 months male Persian cat that was asking for marriage non-stop. I got him a female 1.9 years persian cat but i just didnt expect her to behave the way she does

She doesnt allow him near her to begin with. Also, she seems very scared of us during day and hides under beds, couches...etc. But at night, if i visit the toilet i find her around just fine and doesnt seem as scared. I could even pet her without her running away.

Her previous owner told me the cat has changed like 4 or 5 homes before she came live with me. Is that the reason of her fear ? Is there anything i could do ?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long have you had her? If she’s had a difficult past it will take a while for her to adjust and trust you.

Are they both neutered? If not, that might be adding to her anxiety so I’d get them both done ASAP.

3. wtfmoe

wtfmoe PetForums Newbie

13th of Feb will complete her second month.

Both are not neutered.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The male is very likely pestering her which will scare her.

I’d get them neutered ASAP before she gets caught.

wtfmoe likes this.
  5. wtfmoe

wtfmoe PetForums Newbie

Will do so.
    Mind me asking what "get caught" means here ?

6. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

PREGNANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@wtfmoe - Apologies if I read your opening post incorrectly but I got the impression you wanted your 2 cats to mate and had got an unspayed female for the purpose of keeping your un-neutered male happy with sex. .

As this is at least the 6th home for your poor female cat in 1.9 years, it is possible she is much too anxious and stressed by so many changes and upheaval in her life, to be interested in mating with your male cat.

It will be very frustrating for your male cat to be around a unspayed female cat and not be able to mate with her. Also as you are probably aware, the male is likely to start spraying urine in the home, and the urine of an entire male is very pungent smelling indeed!

I would have both your cats neutered without delay and see if that helps them get on better than they are at present.

OrientalSlave and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. wtfmoe

wtfmoe PetForums Newbie

No worries. All good..

Yes im assuming she is very anxious but what is really weird is she acts like a normal cat at night time. Im even able to hear her purr which is in my little knowledge is a good sign.

Fortunately enough, the male doesn't spray at all but he mews loudly at times lol

I think ill just have them both neutered. Maybe it will help them

chillminx likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good idea about the neutering @wtfmoe :)

Purring is not always a sign of happiness in a cat. Cats also purr to comfort themselves when in pain or if very anxious.

Gallifreyangirl and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This isn't weird at all. It's quiet, and dark, at night. She feels safer coming out to explore her new environment. This is very common for a cat in a new home.

I am very glad to hear you intend to have them neutered. Please have the female spayed right away, and the male as soon after as you can. But do get her done now. Then she can finally live her life in peace and safety, in her forever home - yours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice