Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scared Border

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by William Haynes, Mar 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Haynes

William Haynes PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have a 2 year old female Border who's sociable, friendly, fearless and loves to play - until recently.

A while ago my partner mentioned passing a Nepalese food store which seemed to scare the dog, she pulled away and would not stay on that side of the street, there was was nothing out of the ordinary to cause her to act this way, I took note of it but thought no more as she was fine thereafter.

Yesterday I went into a separate Nepalese store without the dog, purchased a few items and went home, upon entering the house my dog literally went ballistic, hackles up, barking frantically, running away from me, whinging, she simply would not calm down.

My partner mentioned what had happened previously and the only thing we could equate her reaction to was possibly the smell of the incense burning in the shops which is quite heavy.

I know this sounds stupid but I took all of the items I brought from the shop, put them in a shed, washed my hands, changed my clothes, she calmed down only slightly and was still visibly on edge, almost scared.

Interestingly, even though the items were put in new bags in the hope of reducing the scent (if that was the cause) and placed out of her sight in the shed she still focused on that, walking around the house restlessly, looking to the area where the shed is.

Two days later and she is still the same way, which is completely different to her normal character.

I have had dogs forever, various breeds and dealt with all forms of behaviour but this is my first Border, I am aware they are quite sensitive but this is beyond my experience, has anyone experienced anything like this with this breed or others or have any suggestions/solutions for this problem?

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

You may get more replies if you post this in ‘training and behaviour’.

3. William Haynes

William Haynes PetForums Newbie

Will do, thank you

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Rather than suggest the OP starts a new thread it makes life easier for us if you report the post for us to move.:);)

Torin. and Ian246 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice