Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scans

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by shazalhasa, Aug 5, 2009.

1. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Out of those of you that have had scans done on your pregnant bitches, how reliable were they and at what stage of pregnancy would be best ?

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

a lot of folk in my retriever place have had scans and they seen say 6 pups and about 9 came out.

dont know if thats what you mean tho.

3. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

I was told that there was no sign of pregnancy when I had Fey scanned, she produced 4 puppies shortly after...

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

The scan on my bitch was done at 30 days from 2nd mating and the vet just said there were a couple of blobs there that showed a pregnancy and to take her back in 2 weeks for a rescan

5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

our bitch was scanned at 5 and went on to have 8...3 being still born!

He told us the exact day he thought she would welp and she did to the hour!! It was an amazing thing to watch too.!! We didnt have her scanned for the amount just what mating she took from as her mating's where all over the place!!

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

oohhh the tart lol

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

What day roughly after mating should the vet see something though ? I'm a little confused because on a few posts it's between 28 and 32 days, the vet receptionist said anytime after 28 days yet the vet said no, 6 weeks.

8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Our Diva was scanned at just over 6weeks as like i said we didnt do it to confirm the mating or the amount of pupsters purely for dates..
    the vet said it was the best result on the screen he has ever seen with the many scans he had done..

9. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

So we should be able to see something a bit more positive on the next scan then ?

I hope so, just want to know that everything is all ok in there :)

btw, this is mummy to be :D

Attached Files:

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My pup's mum was scanned at 7 weeks and all they could tell was there was at least 4. She had 9.
    Also the scan was free and our vet had a wee ultrasound scanner in her consulting room.
    Another vet we asked was going to refer us to a guy who charged £40

x

11. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

They don't have scanners for dogs in our area, you have to go to Calgary about 2 1/2 hrs away for a scan so I don't bother with scans for that reason. Can not understand why at least 1 vet doesn't have one around here they would make a fortune...Jill

12. clueless

clueless Banned

I tend to find sheep scanners are more reliable than vets. I usually get mine scanned at 5 weeks and they are always spot on. Nice piccy of Mum to be. She looks young in that pic!!

13. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Molly was scanned at about 6 weeks, they scan was very detailed and worth every penny... we were told she was having at least 4 pups and went on to have 7 ;)

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Her coat was way too long for having pups so she's been given her a good trim. I wanted her to still look pretty so I did it myself and tried to do a 'puppy cut' :D

This was her at a show beginning of this year, she had a 1st and Group 4 :D

Attached Files:

15. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I find sheep scanners are more reliable than vets. I get mine scanned at 5 weeks and they are always spot on

I mated both my girls on the same day
    And when i had them scanned at 5 wks from day of mating i was told that one bitch was due on the 64 day of mating and she was having 7 and the other would be due on day 66 of mating and she was having 6 and the women who done my girls was spot on to the day and the amount and she travels to your home but she does charge £60 per dog but worth every penny I got my bitches scanned because i wanted to know they due dates and the amount so i did not have to worry

16. Marie Scheidel

Marie Scheidel PetForums Newbie

Was thinking of Flori scanned at 6 weeks from 1st mating. Really interested in the idea of a sheep scanner, but where would you start? This will be her first letter and cant wait. She has a sister who is not pregnant, worried how she will be when Flori has her pups. Anybody in the same situation

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

This is a very old thread, you would get more responses if you started your own I think.
    To do that look at the top of the breeding section and click on 'create a new thread'.

Torin. likes this.
  18. hazel parker

hazel parker PetForums Newbie

We had our cocker spaniel scanned yesterday and no pups found. She was 31days after second mate. Had all the signs but nothing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice