Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kitkat1994x, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitkat1994x

Kitkat1994x PetForums Junior

Hi guys I just wanted to post on the website to make people more vigilant about scamming. I sent a deposit stupidly out of desperation for ragdoll kitten from St. Albans on the Sunday and I haven’t heard anything back and it’s Wednesday.... It could be a horrible misunderstanding and lack of communication but the seller he goes by the name of miles phone is off and has read and ignored my WhatsApp messages. I was told and have a FaceTime video call and an invoice sent from Miles bathroom the next day but nothing. It’s been three days now and I’m just wondering is anyone else in the same boat? It was advertised on pets 4 homes this is a link to the advert... if anyone else experiences please write on the post. As I said it’s only been three or four days but obviously I’m suspicious - once I’ve reported it which I think I’ll leave for today I will disclose more information. I’m just writing on this thread to see if anyone else is going through it or any advice and please I don’t need to be lectured about sending a deposit before seeing... Of course it was stupid on my part but because of the coronavirus a lot of people aren’t doing viewings.

2. Kitkat1994x

The pets 4 home website then /classifieds/2702972-ragdoll-kittens-st-albans-st-albans.html

3. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Those genuine breeders who aren't doing viewings will still do a video call with you, it should have raised huge flags that they were asking for a deposit without providing this first.

As a new person in pedigrees, avoid Pets4Homes like the plague. Even experienced people get caught out and most of the adverts on there are either scams or backyard breeders.

Go through the breed clubs - PRBCC and TBRCC - to find a good breeder.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

The kittens aren't registered so best to walk away, hopefully you can get the deposit back.

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Sorry you are having a bad day experience. Hopefully your bank can assist you .

I did buy off Pets4homes but checked the breeder out online and that she was know to the breed society.

there are very clever people out there and when people rent houses as a front for breeding most people want to believe.

get in touch with breeders through shows and the breed registration.

6. Kitkat1994x

Thanks for the responses and I’m not really aware of the whole process I’ve just moved out for the first time and finding a cat for the first time. A promise of a video call because it was fairly late at night seemed acceptable at the time but looking back I was quite desperate because I had been let down a few times the last few weeks. Everytime I’ve planned to go see a kitten it’s been taken. So I thought I should move with haste this time which looking back I’m annoyed at myself! I suspected the price of £550 was correlating with the fact that the kittens weren’t registered and I was prepared to make that risk because I can’t fork out 600-800 right now. It seemed very legit he was very knowledgeable on the breed he has done his research. He was showing me pictures of the parents of the kitten and also giving me advice on what food I’d need to give the kitten. Alongside this he was very well spoken and came across intelligent. He asked me for details to invoice me and basically sent me all these lovely pictures to reassure me - i’m going to post some of the conversation just so it doesn’t happen to anyone else! Beside the money it’s just very disappointing!

7. Kitkat1994x

The last picture about FaceTime the next day was when he went ghost on me and I didn’t never heard back:Sorry:( I won’t be blocking out his phone number because the phone is off and I’m pretty sure it will never be in use again!! The rest of the conversation he was talking to me about keeping the cat inside because they can’t defend themselves against foxes etc ... he told me my wife would keep them all if we could and how she’s keeping one of them.

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

How old is that kitten? Doesn't even look old enough to have had all vaccinations. I wouldn't buy this kitten even if you don't get your money back. Contact a local shelter or rescue, and see who they have ready for adoption if you are 'desperate' for a kitten.

9. Kitkat1994x

That was my first choice to get a rescue kitten thank you very much lol but sadly places I have checked don’t have any kittens at the moment perhaps because of the coronavirus. I live in London and of course there so many people wanting kittens... his response to age when I asked ‘They will be ready at week 12 on the 1st of May and we have kept one for ourselves. I have had a ton of messages since I put on the advert this evening’ I’m not sure if he meant 1st of June... so they weren’t ready when the advert was put up in his defence. And if you had read my messages this is my first time buying a kitten! I’m not knowledgeable on this topic and I haven’t claimed to be!

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

If you can't afford to get a pedigree right now then save a little longer. This kitten will cost you much more in vet bills and heartache.

Rushing into buying a kitten leads to scams like this, where you have now lost a significant amount of money

lorilu and spotty cats like this.
  11. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Could you please edit or remove your screenshot images as they display a personal phone number

lorilu and spotty cats like this.
  12. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Does miles bathrooms exist?

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Not that I can see on Google.

14. Kitkat1994x

Yeah I see your logic I didn’t plan to buy a pedigree but having a ragdoll was always a dream and being indoors works well for where I live. I saw the advert and thought it seemed reasonable price wise - I guess spending the extra money insures this time of scam doesn’t happen! And in all honesty you don’t expect people to be so awful :(

15. Kitkat1994x

That personal number scammed me so..... I don’t think it will ever ring again I’ve tried many times and I don’t feel protecting a scammer is not the top of my list but very well- if miraculously out the blue his phone switches on and he explains himself (unlikely) I will delete the screenshots. The phone go straight to Giffgaff... giffgaff says it all

#15 Kitkat1994x, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  16. Kitkat1994x

That name doesn’t match with anything nor the location st Albans.. But I know some businesses can be under different names in different locations since they are created but I can’t find either way.... he did leave his ‘ ‘wife’s name’ melody Kennedy and her bank details which don’t worry I don’t won’t put in the thread which I’m hoping the police might be able to use? I’m not sure if your name has to match with the sort code and account number... I can’t find anyone that exists called Melody Kennedy in St Albans either....

17. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

Regardless of what has happened you have put his mobile number, name,h wife's name and location on a public forum.

You really would be better of removing it otherwise you could probably get done for breaching data protection regulations or something. You never know these days!

lymorelynn and ewelsh like this.
  18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Actually we see it all the time here. The suffering the little ones go through and the heartbreak of the humans, it's a common theme, sadly. But it's one of the reasons many of us get so passionate about these things.

Kitkat1994x, Rufus15 and ewelsh like this.
  19. Kitkat1994x

I think the point is that they don’t exist... and sorry if they do they’re taking money from people and running they should be out their for public knowledge....

20. Kitkat1994x

I’ve delete the screenshots as some of you are more concerned about ‘data protection’ of a scammer :Facepalm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice