Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Scaly flaky skin on a kitten.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kaitlyn, May 18, 2010.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Im slowly getting Harley's illnesses sorted out and noticed the last couple of days he's getting scalyness and dry flaky skin over his back. He's not scratching at it.. well i've not seen him unless i've had a look at it and moved his fur. Its about the size of a 50p piece.

It doesn't seem to be moving (read other thread about walking dandruff) and other than that he's fine in himself. He was frontlined on the 8th (a week and a half ago) aswell after finding he'd got fleas.

Could it be a reaction to the frontline, just dry skin or anything more sinister?

Poor baby can't seem to catch a break lately... good job he's a good boy at the vets.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! I could really be a number of things - could have a flaky patch because it is moulting season, could be a reaction to frontline (if it is in the exact same spot) or it could even be an allergic reaction to flea bites.

Personally, I would wait a little to see whether it clears but itself or if it gets worse or stays the same. If you want to do something nutritionally to bump up the condition of his skin then get your hands on some evening primrose oil. Also does wonders for general dandruff as well as skin condition due to an allergic reaction.

And if you are worried or it is getting a lot worse then take your cat to the vet.

3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Hi and thank you :)

Its lower down his spine than the frontline was applied so wasn't quite sure. Had no idea about skin flaking during moulting season.. feel a bit daft now having grown up around cats and never noticed it before :eek:

I'll definately try the evening primrose oil. He's on a dry diet (Virbac) at the moment because of the constant diarrhoea he was suffering when i got him, can't be helping his skin much. Not a fan of an exclusive dry diet but it was advised to help him.

Hes due back up the vets again soon anyway.. just waiting to see if the course of antibiotics and diet he was given last time has cured his poo problem. If it gets worse over the weekend i'll take him up sooner.

Thanks again for the advice :thumbup:

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no, poor little mite. I didn't know that he has had such problems. Did the vet suggest what it might be (bacteria, worms, inflammation, allergy etc)? However, if he didn't digest his food properly as it was going through him then it is perhaps unsurprising that his skin has suffered at bit.

Bagpuss had constant diarrhoea when we first got him, which was down to food allergies and salmonella. I have used slippery elm bark power in the past, which is great stuff to calm a digestive system suffering from diarrhoea or constipation, even those that appear to be chronic. Always have a little bag of that stuff in the cupboard.

Sorry I don't know Virbac at all.

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

First time took him up the first vet i saw on the saturday said the diarrhoea and blood could be stress down to moving house and leaving mum so gave pro-kolin which didn't have any effect, he was wormed on that visit aswell.

Second vet when i took him back on the tuesday thought it could be his diet. Gave anti-biotics as precaution and see how it goes. Also said if it carries on to take a sample up which they'll test.

He's sneaked into Tiggr's food last night and this morning he was starting to go sloppy again so im thinking it could likely be+ down to him having a sensitive tummy. He didn't have the best start as the owners of his mum were giving him all sorts :eek6: If it does come back clear to any parasites/bugs then i'll give the Slippery elm a go. Vet said the Virbac has worked with this kind of thing before.. asked him if i could get it online but its exclusive to vets... has seemed to work though so far.

Keeping a close eye on his skin and fetching some EPO today.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hiyah! How is that flaky patch doing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice