Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

scabby dog any ideas

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lynn86, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lynn86

lynn86 PetForums Junior

ok folk not been on a while hope you are all wee. jack is very itchy and has small scabs on one side of his body not his legs or head. i have clipped him and checked him for fleas he has none and his wormer is up to date .. im lost can you helplxx

2. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

I can't, but perhaps your vet could :001_smile:

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Possible allergy? It's hard to say, he could regularly walk through a patch of nettles/cover that make him itchy, without knowing his day to day life you can't diagnose what exactly is wrong, but allergies spring to mind initially, and I'd want to get his food checked out.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Some times you dont see the fleas as they tend to just jump on the animal to feed. Some dogs can develope an allergy to flea bites. There are other parasites that dogs can get in the way of mites. Some actually burrow into the skin so you cant see them, but they can cause intense itching. The scabs may be caused by him scratching himself, or bites. Once the skin is broken it can also be at risk from bacterial infection. There are fungal skin infections too. A lot of flea treatments only do fleas and ticks not skin mites of which there a various types. It wold be best to take him to the vets and get it checked out because should it be mites or a fungal infection or even bacterial it will spread and just get worse.

5. lynn86

lynn86 PetForums Junior

going to go to the vets he is on csj dont think thats the cause tho mmm so many things it could be

6. lynn86

lynn86 PetForums Junior

managed to get a cancelation jack has infected spots vet thinks its his greasy coat and the heat making him itch so he gave him a jag to stop the redness in his skin and itching he aslo has 10 days of anti biotics and a shampoo that i have to use once a week ...

7. Sled dog hotel

Glad you managed to get him sorted. Did they tell you if the anti inflam jab was steroidal or not? it its steroid one, then he will probably be drinking and peeing more, so you might need to watch him, It sometimes makes them hungry too. If it was non steroidal he should be OK.

8. lynn86

lynn86 PetForums Junior

oh no ill just call and ask

9. lynn86

lynn86 PetForums Junior

vet is shut ill call in the morning and ask thanks

10. Sled dog hotel

My vet neglected to tell me once, and mine kept getting caught short and had a couple of accidents, so once bitten and all that every time they mention anti inflammatory injections I always check to make sure now. It is only temporary though until the jab wears off, so dont worry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice