Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

SBT Teenage Years?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lisa M, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

This is Naz.

He was rescued by my brother 2 years ago when he was a little pup. Naz's mum and her pups were neglected and abused. Since rescuing him my brother has trained him really well and showered him with affection. He has been an extremely well behaved dog and they have never had any problems with him.
    Just recently this has all changed. He has taken to peeing on their bed if they go out and peeing in the house sometimes right in front of them. He started pulling badly on the lead (a gentle leader seems to have sorted that one) and rather than doing as he is told straight away he has started to be naughty.
    Someone had mentioned to my brother that he maybe going through his teenage years? (The dog that is :D) Could this be true?
    Naz has not been neutered yet as the guy at the training classes some time ago told him the dogs growth could be stunted if it is done before he is 2. We wondered if this is true too?

Attached Files:

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I have heard that if you and ur dog/pup are continuously together and then all of a sudden you go out more often then what your dog is used to, or even going out for that matter, your dog can pee/poop or chew in protest.
    Does he spend less time with the dog then he used to?

If thats the case then i reccomend going out for a very short amount of time without your dog and then increasing the time gradually.
    maybe that will help.

Gorgeous looking staffy btw :)

3. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

You might be right actually. Thanks very much for that :D He is very cute and loves a cuddle :rolleyes:

4. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Np lisa :)
    Maybe someone else could suggest something else, But i had a simalar thing happen like that with my 14 year old staffy i have now, years ago when she was young she used to come everywhere with me, when i went out to places like down town shopping where she could'nt come i used to come back to my home recked, She ate carpets sofas clothes shoes chewed kitchen cupboards ate doors and the list goes on and on lol.
    it was suggested to me to do the same thing i mentioned above to you, it worked, obviously not right away but it did work once she realized ild be back sooon enough.

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It sounds like he's pushing the boundries.With the peeing inside he could be scent marking.Is he castrasted?

A crate might be a good idea when he's left alone,that sounds like a bit of seperation anxiety,which won't be a quick fix solution.
    A change in a dogs routine can upset them.
    You might find this useful Separation Anxiety in Dogs.

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

My dog has only ever done this once, and that was a day I went to crufts, my teenage daughter looked after my dog. Some time during the day, she ran upstairs and peed on my bed. My daughter turned the matress, put another sheet on and didn't tell us for months !!!! Her routine was obviously upset that day, she probably felt a little stressed. Dogs can be quite sensitive to change.

7. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

Well they are doing their house up at the moment - new floors, furniture, plastering - the whole thing so maybe its to do with that too.
    Thanks SO much for all your advice and help - Very much appreciated.

:):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice