Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sawdust/woodshavings??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by xkeeleyx, Aug 4, 2009.

1. xkeeleyx

xkeeleyx PetForums Junior

i went to a joiners yard yesterday and bought a MASSIVE bag of chemical free sawdust for just £4 it was that big i had to put seats down in my car. iv been told in the past that sawdust isnt good for rabbits but also been told buy a petshiop that its ok for them. and it does get sold doesnt it.. so just wondering on your advice??

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I dont use shavings as they create loads of mess indoors, i have heard that u are not meant to use them with long haired bunnies because it can get in their hair however i dont know how true this is? the stuff they sell in the shops is dust extracted so its better for the rabbits breathing, I would say that if ur rabbits are used to shavings and dont have any health problems then its ok

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You have to be careful with stuff straight from a joiners/foresty industry.

There may be tree sap, and some wood is toxic to rabbits, like pine and cedar, both common trees used in such places.

I personally use megazorb.

4. borderer

borderer Guest

been using sawdust from joiers shop for years:D

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

My rabbits have woodshavings and I've had no problems but I've always got these from a pet shop.

Someone told me that sawdust can irritate their eyes...I guess it depends how fine it is and how big the pieces are?

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

whats megazorb?

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

8. borderer

borderer Guest

expensive sawdust:smilewinkgrin:

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its actually really cheap.

10. borderer

borderer Guest

6.94 i would need 5 a week:eek:

11. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i dont think sawdust is good as it gets into the eyes and nose, well so im told lol i buy a big 25lt of shavings for £6.50 sometimes £8 if i go else where. it last me for about a month but i do have large pens to fill lol when i had just 1 bun it lasted me about 3 months or more

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont have so many animals that i have to use cheaper stuff thats poor quality and doesnt do a good job.

I cut no corners and take no risks with my pets. Megazorb is almost much kinder on the feet, and with bare-footed animals such as guineas, id rather they were comfortable.

13. borderer

borderer Guest

mine are comfy and very happy:D:D

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im sure they are :)

15. frags

frags PetForums VIP

mine too :D and as i clean the more often i couldnt afford the more expensive, i think as long as there cleaned enough there isnt a problem

16. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

To be honest all i put in Stan's cage, not that he ever get locked in it it has no lid on it its just a base for his food etc, but allput in the bottom of that is hay and he loves it! lol :D

Cheap and cheerful! :D oh and hes happy x

17. KarenHSmith

KarenHSmith PetForums VIP

I use them - they're OK, but what has already been said they are messy. I have never had problems with it though..

18. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

All I use in my hutches is hay. The dirty bits where they wee and poo is cleaned out daily and the rest cleaned every other day, along with a hay rack for the stuff they eat. This works well for me because the only mess in the hutches is what they do over night since they have free run of the garden all day they fertilise my garden for me.

I used to use wood shavings but read that it causes liver failure if its pine or cedar, something to do with the fumes and since most bags of wood shavings don't state what wood it is I don't want to risk it.

19. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

hey kammie just thought i'd mention that in winter straw is much warmer than hay so they might need both :)

20. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

I refuse to use shavings.
    They are messy and the dust can cause eye irritation, respiritory problems and liver damage.

Megazorb is much more absorbant, so you do not have to use as much.

As someone said- different types of wood are toxic to buns so the shavings of those trees should be avoided. Sawdust and woodshavings are different- Sawdust should be avoided at all costs as it is much finer and dustier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice