Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Saving Grace

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What are your saving graces with your dogs?

Alfies is a fairly cast iron gut. It means I can highlight his days with various treats and food games. I've cut his meals by 1/3rds to accommodate his treats :D

I suppose another is his huge interest in the comings and going of the human race. I can take him somewhere where there's activity and he gets so much stimulation.
    Took him to a garage yesterday when I went for a couple of new tyres. Wore him out :D

2. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Bullmastiff has to be about the most laid back and gentle dog I ever met.

Also has a cast iron gut.

If we go outside, she is happy, if we stay in, she is happy. If we go to the beach.she is happy.

Just a happy happy dog.

3. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Malcolm's has got to be his ability to run fast because when you are as much of a wind up merchant as he is you need to be fast enough to get away!

Scooby's is that although he likes to eat people he's a sneaky little sod who does it quietly so most people don't even know he's tried!

Bandit is athletic enough to avoid most numpty dogs out on walks and not yappy at all. Well behaved enough to go out and relax with me anywhere but loyal as well :)

Layla has a lot of trust in me and will go into scary situations with little hesitation because she trusts I will keep her safe.

#3 Wyrekin, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Holly is a happy dog as well, and she is so adaptable. She will settle anywhere we are, camper van, cottage, hotel or anywhere we stay.

The only thing to upset her tum is fish, too much fish and she is as "sick as a dog"

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

:yikes: :yikes:

Did you mean this? :biggrin:

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Adam- my confident take anywhere dog.
    Hannah- my baby/child bomb proof dog.
    Heidi- my little peaceable non arguing dog.
    Alfie- my always up for a cuddle and snuggle dog.

TBH though Alf is the only one who really needs a saving grace.......to save him from the glue factory when he has pi**ed me off!!:D

7. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Haha sadly yes, luckily though he's never managed a whole one...just the odd ankle and leg! :eek: :D

8. Reverie

Reverie PetForums VIP

I'm another with a happy dog, she's just a cheerful little thing, and she's great with other dogs and people. I love that she's got so much energy and lust for life. :)

9. Tarnus

Tarnus PetForums VIP

Probably that she is so happy in her own company. We did quite a lot of work when she was young in teaching her to be happy on her own, and it some ways it's been really good as we can go to work and not worry about her being stressed all alone, but in some ways it has backfired as she almost prefers to be on her own now! If we leave the house open in an evening she'll bugger off up onto our bed all night (despite not seeing us all day!) and as soon as we go up to bed, she runs back downstairs to her own bed lol. So anti-social!

10. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Lily loves everyone...she has no prejudices...if only people were the same it would be a much nicer world!

11. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Ninjas saving grace is that she can be left quite happily, a real bonus considering she cant be taken anywhere :p

Seriously though she may have her problems but having had a dog with severe SA its great to be able to go out and know that she isn't howling the place down.

But then Rorys saving grace despite his SA was that he was capable of being taken anywhere :p

12. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Happy to be home alone, hasn't tried to eat the bird and he loves the Children.
    So far he seems to prefer to be near me on walks, so he rarely ever goes out of sight. If he goes too far ahead he tends to stop and wait for me. Staring at me as I get close, as if to say 'HURRY UP!'

13. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Scooby is the most gentle dog not a bad bone in his body the vet can do anything to him and he just stands there chilled out He washes the other dogs and the cats too
    Maggie is a loner she does not play with the other dogs at all The only one that can pick her up is my OH
    Lucy is happy all the time even though she is almost blind her little tail never stops wagging and she loves kisses and cuddles
    Beth is just an old laid back lady but she will tell you what she wants
    If she wants to go outside she will make this little growling noise and then run to the door
    If she wants picking up she will make the same noise and she will persist until you give in she wont take no for an answer.
    The all walk fine on leads except for Lucy and I think that's because she cant see very much now

14. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

lovely around the house..no mess..no chewing... very affectionate with us..very relaxed ...(while at home...)

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Lack of arthritis and other age related issues.

16. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Like Alfie, Bella can eat anything without having tummy problems, so she gets lots of interesting treats during the day.

She loves her lie-ins, so even though I have to be up by 6:30am some mornings (I leave 2 hours for Bella's walk, playtime, cool off and breakfast before I have to leave the house), she is very happy to sleep until 8-9am the next day.

She is very easily amused. She will roll around on the couch in ecstasy if I hide a toy under one of the cushions...and this game can go on for hours. I occasionally hide the tot under my leg too, for variation! She travels beautifully, which is important as she averages 3-4 car rides a day. Either to go on interesting walks, to visit friends, or to be left at a friend/ my granny is I have to be away from home for more than a couple of hours.

She is not at all destructive, 100% toilet trained, and doesn't shed...so people are happy to have her in their house, even if they do not have dogs of their own.

The list is endless...but her biggest saving grace is the fact that I adore her to pieces:biggrin5::biggrin5::biggrin5:

17. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Harvey is my bomb proof dog, great with people kids especially, dogs, cats, fluffies...... you get the idea.

Chance despite all his major problems, once introduced to them is AMAZING with much smaller and younger pups

#17 pogo, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  18. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

He can go just about anywhere ... and does ... often :D

19. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

In the summer I left my phone and my Kindle on the bench in the garden, within reach of all the dogs.
    When I came back they were still there in one piece, but with a Danny stretched out on his back next to them.

I think I sometimes take it for granted that none of them are destructive :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice