Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Save M&S

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Nov 6, 2019.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Profits have fallen again.

Go have a look and buy something, even if it's only for Xmas or we will lose another big name

2. margy

margy PetForums VIP

I love M&S it's my favourite shop. I'd be heartbroken if it closed. I know it can be expensive but their trousers are the only ones that fit me properly.

Beth78 and kimthecat like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

They were saying on the News this morning that were thinking of splitting into two, one just for food and one for clothes ect. Hope they don't close it the only place I easily get the length I like for skirts and trousers.

margy and kimthecat like this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

M and S have been in trouble quite a few times over the years .
    I buy my food there . I get my underwear there and thermals . OH gets jeans from there , good quality ones last a long time.

The clothes are expensive compared to other shops and not very fashionable.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No - I’ve decided to boycott them actually.

They sell Halal meat and have taken away the option of gender specific changing rooms.

picaresque and Cleo38 like this.
  6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I'm not too bothered by the halal meat but am about the changing rooms. I do shop at the food only shops/garages but I don't buy clothes from them now & have written to express my concerns …. like a proper old person that I am now!! :D

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The changing rooms in mine haven't been gender specific for as long as I can remember. They do have all female or all male clothing alongside individual changing rooms,however, with the "proper" doors they have and floor to ceiling walls, I can't see a problem if a bloke is next one along.

halal :mad:

#7 rona, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think the issue for some is that the changing room areas are quite tucked away and not always with an attendant in situ. Any female, for instance who feels vulnerable (rape/abuse victims for example) could be upset if they come out of an individual, secure cubicle and come face to face with a man.

Women being fitted for bras are often at risk of being exposed topless when the assistant enters/exits.

I’m not suggesting anyone who isn’t biologically female is a potential paedo/weirdo/threat btw.

I’m pretty robust but would be mortified to be seen in a state of undress by a bloke who exited a cubicle just as the bra assistant entered mine.

One portion of society’s needs shouldn’t trump another’s imo.

Changing (and toilet cubicles come to that) should not be tucked away - if they are self contained (with a sink/drier in the case of toilets) and secure, they don’t need to be - and can just be genderless, just as disabled loos usually are.

Bra fitting cubicles should be situated in the lingerie section, sited to avoid accidental glimpses and only accessible to people dressed as females (as one M&S bra fitter stated as her practise on a phone in the other day).

Surely, anyone identifying as female (and I know some people are fluid) would not go into try lingerie on dressed as a male, would they? If so, I’d wonder quite frankly at their lack of consideration to others. Some might also wonder at their motivation.

picaresque, Cleo38, NaomiM and 2 others like this.
  9. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Junior

I didn't know about the changing rooms, I quite like that actually. All I buy in M&S are bras so I might make an effort to go stock up. Nowhere else does bras that last so long, I have ones kicking about from 10 years ago that I could wear if they still fit!

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I love the food in M &S I think it's sad to see all the shops disappearing.

11. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums Senior

Oh! I didn't know they sold Halal meat, how awful!

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Nor did I . :( I expect all the supermarkets do.
    @Lurcherlad Is the meat labeled Halal? I hope its not in the ready meals.

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’m not sure of the details, but think ready meals were mentioned.

Just found this from The Grocer website:

“M&S is launching an own-label halal ready meal range in an effort to create a more localised offer in selected stores.

From 6 November, 36 stores will offer a range of six Halal Food Authority (HFA) certified meals including Chicken Arrabbiata, Chicken Jalfrezi and a Chicken Tikka Masala. “

Being meat, eggs and dairy free I struggle to find anything I can eat in their cafes other than jacket spud with baked beans. :rolleyes:

I’m going to do a bit of research on the other retailers I use ......

I stopped going to Pizza Express ages ago as soon as I heard their chicken is Halal too.

Sadly, it looks like many UK stores might be selling live killed halal meat :(

I’m slowly making my house meat free by stealth - OH knows, but DS hasn’t noticed yet ;)

Soon, if they want to eat it they’ll have to do so elsewhere - I won’t be buying or cooking it for them.

#13 Lurcherlad, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  14. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Get woke, go broke. Well, they've been struggling for a long time I know but I don't think they know their main demographic very well. They need to stop alienating their usual customers by trying to attract the youth crowd (who for the most part really aren't interested and wouldn't be seen dead in an M&S) and play to their strengths - good quality classic clothing and their food hall.

tabelmabel, rona and kimthecat like this.
  15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:( As far as I'm aware there's no law that says they have to label halal meat . It was introduced into schools without the parents being told.

16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I know most Muslim children round here, tend to have a vegetarian menu. Probably because there isn't a huge amount of ethnicity. Of course they have the fish on Friday which every school menu seems to have.. Plus quorn is on most menus as standard anyway.

kimthecat likes this.
  17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I started doing this when I was still with my ex he did not notice for ages spag bowl was made with puy lentils.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  18. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Work shirts for Dh and Ds bought in M&S
    Good choice of sizes and they always wash well.

I buy my jeans there and underwear.

This week alone I've spent over £250 on clothes (shirts and underwear) and food (cakes and sandwich platters) for a party on weekend.

Most of the clothes I find a bit frumpy occasionally there is a nice piece, do like their cashmere very affordable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice