Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sarcoid help

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by keeleyjane19, Apr 16, 2011.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello, has anyone got any suggestions on how to treat a sarcoid? So far we have been recommended Crest tooth paste and purple spray and to clean it with clean water before administrating Crest and spray. Any suggestions we would be grateful for xx

2. _Sara_

_Sara_ PetForums Member

To be honest unless they are very bad (changing/bleeding/cracking) I would just leave them. However I would ask a vets opinion. They are effectively skin cancer and the best way to treat them is radiation, however it is very expensive. They do a cream that worked a mare at our yard, it was about £500 a tube and she needed several tubes of it. Not exactly sure what it was called tho so im not much help there. It was dangerous stuff tho and needed putting on with gloves and everything.
    Sam has one and it doesn't bother him. Its been there for about 2 years now and hasn't changed or spread. The vet is happy just to leave it, at 22 tho im not sure he would survive radiation/surgery.
    Liverpool uni did a massive study on them I will post a link :

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

Oh and on the cleaning I have never cleaned Sams it looks clean and dry and fly free. I defiantly wouldn't put crest toothpaste on it either

#2 _Sara_, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Thank you for your help. The crest toothpaste and purple spray was a recommendation from the vet. It isn't bothering him or getting bigger or spreading. The vet said to just apply crest toothpaste once cleaned and dry and then put a layer of spray as we don't want flies laying eggs on it. Thanks again x

4. packhorse

packhorse PetForums Junior

Do some research on Neem Oil. and contact me on facebook and I will pass you on to a lady who is doing a bit of research on this after she found it worked on her horse. https://www.facebook.com/home.php

it does seem that this stuff actually works - someone else IS doing research but not in a big way but the more who try it the better it might become to get proper research done.

Packhorse

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Fantastic, thanks!! Open to any idea!! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice