Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sand bath advice?

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Charlotte butterworth, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Charlotte butterworth

Hi I am looking after someelses degu (I put it in chinchilla section as I know they also need sand baths), and they told me to keep the dust bath out all the time . I do sive it to keep it clean. But I heard it is bad to keep it out all of the time? any advice thanks .

2. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

My chinchillas got a dust bath most days, but I only left in the cage around 30 minutes maximum. I knew some breeders who only allowed access to baths 3-4 times a week or less. I'm sure mine had better coats though

Charlotte butterworth likes this.
  3. Charlotte butterworth

Thanks , the max 30mins is useful to know .

4. pepsii77

pepsii77 PetForums Newbie

My chinchillas have sand all the time, they know how much they need. I do clean sand everyday and change weekly for fresh one. I think they should have all the time, wild animals have all the time

5. Charlotte butterworth

Thanks, this is also useful, maby I will leave it in but if i see him over dust bathing then I could take it out . Thanks.

6. pepsii77

pepsii77 PetForums Newbie

I my opinion if they have all the time they know is there so they can use when needed, if you give them every sometimes they will behaviour like mental to get how much is possible. Because mine have all the time the coat is really nice and smooth.

7. Charlotte butterworth

Thanks for the comment , that is useful information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice